VDC & ABS System Failures - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 12-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
VDC & ABS System Failures

Yesterday my 147 sele came up with VDC System Failure & ABS System Failure. It's not going away under restarting or anything, like some of the more random errors.

So what could be the likely cause?
Are there sensors at the wheels or anything to check? Or any particular wiring to look for any obvious problems with?

The fact that it's both errors at once- is that a sign of an ECU problem.

A few weeks ago it broke down, with a Selespeed System Failure and Motor Control System Failure, and it turned out to be a 25 RPM sensor, with the RPM reading, the ECU has a fit and can't function, so I'm hoping it's one little sensor at fault, and replacing that will make the whole system happy again.

At least it's still drivable, the gearbox problems I fixes in the past are at least staying fixed!

. : Alfa 147 2.0 Selespeed : Tan Leather : Bose Sounds : 17" Supersports : 40mm Lower : HK Drive & Play Ipod Kit : .
SOLD Maybe staying with Alfa though, see what I end up with next!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 2 Old 12-07-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Re: VDC & ABS System Failures

Well I fixed it already!
I'm rather shocked and embarrassed tbh, as it's a bodge job on my account that was to blame

I'd not routed the ABS cable securely after having the strut taken apart when I was changing the springs, and the tyre was rubbing through the ABS wire while spinning! Ooops I can't believe I did that! Lucky it wasn't something more vital. I guess I didn't realise how close the tyre got. I've soldered everything back together, but I'm going to get a replacement cable.

I'd phoned Avanti first to see what their opinion was, and they told me (In case anyone finds this in the future while searching) what they would check first is the sensors at the wheel can simply get dirty, and just need blowing clean with an air-line.
I also said that occasionally when coming to a stop gently I can feel the odd bit of ABS-feedback through the pedal, unnecessarily. They said there was a sensor (just under the reservoir they said) that simply needs its sensitivity adjusting.
That may be useful to someone!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

abs , failures , system , vdc