Alfa 147 2.0 at the german autobahn - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 07-04-15 Thread Starter
County: -
Alfa 147 2.0 at the german autobahn

Just got home after a few nice holidays nearby Koblenz, Germany. Lately, I had to let go my beloved 1996 1.6 146. Last year made with that wonderful boxer engine. Sounded sweet and was always reliable. So, I went and bought a 2007 147 sporting that 2.0 Twin Spark engine, as I couldn't fint a decent GT within my budget. To my eyes, the GT is one of the finest looking cars in recent times. Too bad Alfa never made the 147 in a coupe or even a sedan version.
To my pleasant surprise, the 147 proved to be a really good car for long trips, with its nice interior and spacey front seats, cruise control and an engine that could hold its own - even at the autobahn. I maxed out at 201 km/t - that would be 124 miles per hour for you gentlemen - which is respectable for any other than the usual Ferraries, Porches and other insane cars dominating the autobahn.
Now, if only Alfa would make a modern boxer engine end slap it into a GT-like chassis...
Sponsored Links
Sadly, Alfa deemed that the lovely classic boxer engine they used to make was no longer feasible with ever-tightening new emissions controls coming in, and modern engine developments in general. They were lovely engines and enabled a low centre of gravity to assist handling.

How very strange then, that Subaru managed to keep making their classic boxer engines? They even do a diesel boxer!

Management FAIL on the part of Alfa Romeo .
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Management fail by Fiat... Scrapped it as it was easier and cheaper to product an inline 4...
Yes, I guess they had the power over AR, as the parent company. Either way, big shame.

And yes, my implication was that their stated reason for giving up the Boxer had no basis in truth.

Another little piece of valuable 'quirkiness' and brilliance thrown out of the window by management.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , alfa , autobahn , german