Sticky/Gubbed Variator ?? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Sticky/Gubbed Variator ??

My 156 2litre TS is behaving a bit strangely....

A few weeks ago, I started getting 400 miles before the fuel light comes on. This is much more than I used to get. Working out about 37mpg and I drive the car likes it's stolen most of the time on motorways and A-roads.

I've also noticed that the car seems to feel a little "flat" sometimes when booting it.

On top of this, the engine when warm constantly chatters, but not like the diesel rattle you'd expect from a gubbed variator. But it's tending to sound a bit diesely if you know what I mean. It also doesn't do the diesel thing at startup.

I've cured the diesel startup clatter before using engine flush at the oil change, even though this car isn't suffering the same symptoms, I'm wondering if the variator may be a bit sticky.
It's due another oil change (it's 5th in 12 months ~24000miles in a year ), so plan to use flush this time.

The car also very occasionally drops it's revs to 600rpm when idling if I do a small blip of the throttle. It hardly ever does this though, but I feel it's connected to the "flat" feeling the car sometimes has.

Any ideas/help ???

Sponsored Links
Global Mod Team
County: Suffolk
Re: Sticky/Gubbed Variator ??

The flat spot could be the variator - the chattering certainly sounds as though it is - just had mine changed, there was no startup noise and I didn't think that much when running. It was only when the new one was on that I realised how noisy it had been without me really noticing.

The gutless feeling when booting it could be the MAF - standard test - disconnect it and see if it makes a difference - if better then that's your problem.

It's defo not the MAF. I replaced that about 11 months ago (well over 20K miles ago). The sysmptoms of the gubbed MAF stopped the car revving past 4500rpm under load. The car will blat past 7000rpm in 1st, 2nd and 3rd. I'm thinking it's the variator sticking sometimes.

BTW, when I disconnected the MAF last time, the car wouldn't even tick over properly, let alone be driven. It just died as soon as it got any pedal.

Will do the engine flush before worrying more. The belts are due again in 10-12K miles. That's about 6 months time. I might replace the variator then anyway

Did an oil change and used engine flush.

As the flush did it's stuff I could hear the diesel sound at tickover slowly disappear.

Filled the car with nice fresh 5-50 Halfords Synthetic Track Day oil and it's all nice again.

Nice smooth acceleration with a nicer rasp than before the oil change. Not bad for £5 worth of "quick fix".

That's twice I've "sorted" a noisy variator with engine flush on 2 different cars now.

Will probably change the variator at the next belt change anyway, but to be honest, I don't see ant point at the moment.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

sticky or gubbed , variator