215/45-17 tyres for Alfa GT JTD - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 03-04-15 Thread Starter
County: Greater London
215/45-17 tyres for Alfa GT JTD

Have looked for other threads, but not found anything specific.

After a balance of low road noise, reasonable wear, not over-stiff sidewalls and ideally anti-tramlining behaviour.

Have used budget nameless tyres as doing high mileages and alloys take constant pounding from the un-repaired roads and motorways all over the British Isles.

This is OK until they wear down a bit and then the car is very camber and tramline happy, to the extent that faulty/worn suspension is suspected ( been checked and wishbones etc. replaced at appropriate intervals) . Car is on over 140K miles now.

Alfa Workshop have recommended a block and/or and non-directional tyre pattern and softer tyre sidewalls.

Not sure what makes this specification would translate to; any suggestions/recommendations welcome, thanks.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Merseyside

Member car:

156 1.9 mjet 16v

talk to tyre independent dealer but my advice is fit likes of continental sport contact
AO Platinum Member
If you are changing all four and looking for more comfort, you should consider going up to 225/45R17 (the 3.2V6 size).
Same diameter as the 16" 205/55R16, so no clearance issues.
(Post Link) post #4 of 8 Old 04-04-15 Thread Starter
Thanks for the advice, really appreciated. I have had 225/45 R17 budgets fitted to the front before (tyre fitting centre put wrong size on by mistake), but no adverse effects.

Looking to buy on-line, probably from Buy cheap tyres online @ Mytyres.co.uk - tyre dealer for car and budget tyres.

The following Nankang and Hankook alternatives seem to fit the bill and are better than the low end 66 (fitted) tyres that have been used over the last 4-5 years.

Stopped using Continentals and Pirellis after getting tyres ruined on potholes and disintegrating speed bumps - the latter damaging inner sidewalls.

The Continental Sports Contact 2s ( at the time) were very noisy and wore out quickly, it seemed

215/45 ZR17 91W XL

Hankook Ventus Prime 2 K115
215/45 R17 91W XL

Will look at the 225/45-17 equivalent as only 1.4% difference in circumference, so clearance and speedo readings not affected unduly.

Trying to save money as want to go for a 170 BHP GT Cloverleaf or 2.0 JTDM/2.4 JTD 159 Ti replacement soon
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JDTM

I have Toyo's in that size on my GT and really like the ride and handling
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
On paper the Goodyear Efficientgrip Performance ticks all your boxes... Low rolling resistance and road noise, damned soft sidewalls (to the point where they look under-inflated at the correct pressure!), and long wear life... I think the squishy side walls would help even up the weird tramlining tracking too..

My GT currently has some Pirelli PZeros on the rear that have worn down to 2mm and 50p shaped castellation on the inner shoulder, so I've been taking a look at tyres too..
215/45-17 tyres for Alfa GT JTD

These are good and cheap too:

You'd probably get either cheaper from a local, non-national tyre fitting garage.
(Post Link) post #8 of 8 Old 05-04-15 Thread Starter
Thanks for the informed and qualified advice. All of the suggested tyres have good braking and wet weather performance and lower road noise as well.

The larger tyre fitting chain stores are a national joke, always quoting over 10 more per tyre and over-selling their services.

My local independent tyre/exhaust/MOT centre in Pinner, Middlesex is really good; their only foible is constantly advising me to get a Japanese car, balanced up to a degree by their denigration of all things French........

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , jtd , tyres