156 2.4 jtd Big End Failure - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 08-07-07 Thread Starter
Moaning 156 2.4 jtd Big End Failure

Does anyone know how common big end failure is on No 3 cylinder on 156 2.4 jtd engines, my car has 122,000 miles on the clock and the big end on No 3 has just failed for no apparent reason, whilst looking on ebay someone else has a head for sale, the reason being his also failed on No 3 Big end. Could anyone please tell me if this has happend to them.
One very sick Alfa owner!!!
Sponsored Links
Re: 156 2.4 jtd Big End Failure

Bugger, you're the first (two) I've heard of from reading the forum and general hearsay

Far as I know the JTD engines are pretty bulletproof...until now!

Good luck sorting it

AO Member

Member car:

156, 2.4jtd

Have to agree with wrinx, the JTD seems a pretty solid piece of metal. Guessing at things....if the engine was let run low on oil then maybe No3 bearing suffers more and in later years at higher mileages could be the one to fail first ? But honestly have never heard of a bottom end failure on a JTD, least not at any sane mileage or reasonable RPM's.

EDIT: good news (if you can call it that) is if it's only a big end it will be sump off, re-ground crank, oversized shells and hopefully not much more. Would cast a evil eye at the oil pump while in there though and replace it ideally. At least a regrind and those bits is cheaper than a new engine. After some googling I did find some mentions about "crankshaft endplay" when excessive possibly causing oil flow problems and premature bearing failure, but as I said, it was 2 mentions in 2 posts, no more detailed stuff on it.

2003,2.4 JTD,Nero black.
FITTED:Remap,Supersprint exhaust,CDA,Splitter,TV,DVD,DVB-T,PS2,Blaupunkt MP74 ICE,GTA HID lights,Lexus rears,smoked windows
WAITING:Koni sportspack
The non-Italian project

Last edited by okenora; 09-07-07 at 00:16.
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 10-07-07 Thread Starter

took the head off though to find out where the noise was coming from.Warranty assessor came out today, his opinion was lack of lubrication to No 3 big end, so they will not pay out my claim as the bearing did not fail, it was lack of lube that killed it.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , big , end , failure , jtd