147 JTD 16v MJet - Max torque on stock Clutch? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 06-07-07 Thread Starter
147 JTD 16v MJet - Max torque on stock Clutch?

Has anyone got any reasonable idea of what BHP + Torque a clutch in a 147 1.9 JTD 16v MJet (140BHP) could take before giving up the ghost & frying itself?

I ask as i am running a PSI Motorsport chip (piggy back with existing ECU) with the wick turned right up + a replacement performance panel filter in the existing airbox, & i am getting regular clutch slip (this worsening the more passengers i take). The car has covered 36,000 miles from new & is still on the existing clutch.

Any info &/or suggestions would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Re: 147 JTD 16v MJet - Max torque on stock Clutch?

Most people on here prefer to get cars remapped that use power boxes or piggy back chips. A bodged piggy back chip on my car when I bought it was what necessitated a very expensive ecu replacement. A good remapper will limit your torque around 2,000 but remove them limits once the torque starts to drop off naturally as you get higher through the rev range.

If your clutch is slipping, its because it is too worn. Basically you need another one, but theres no point getting a standard one. I bought an uprated one off ebay for £120 and got it fitted by an Alfa Indie, with 10,000 miles with a lot of hard acceleration its still nice and tight, with a low bite point, even though I'm running very close to the torque limit of the gearbox...

Good luck getting it sorted.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , 16v , clutch , jtd , max , mjet , stock , torque