What started your passion for your GT/156/147, share your stories - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 27-03-15 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

What started your passion for your GT/156/147, share your stories

The first 3 GT's i drove were brand new Avis hire cars. All 150 jtd's on 16 inch multispokes. I drove them from heathrow to The northern east coast. And each time i couldn't get enough of the car, i just properly fell in love with them. I was supposed to be visiting relatives at the time but they never saw me, i was in the GT blasting through the surrounding countryside. Scenery i had grown up around, the best country lanes i knew between Scarborough and whitby..through dalby forest drive..Some amazing roads i knew from blasting down in my hot hatches when i was a teenager. I really pushed the cars too. And one i drove through thick snow. Which they did really well at to be honest. I swore i had to own one one day. The little coupe literally won me over. It was 6 years later from that when i bought my first one off a Arthur Daley forecourt lost in the Kent countryside in horrendous weather. A black 2004. She had 50k when i bought her and i knocked the salesman down 1k lol. He just wanted rid. That car was immense. I got her for such a good price, and driving her away i felt so excited i finally had the car i had dreamt about owning.

I had a look around for what could be done, joined this forum and did my homework. This is when i found Autolusso. And the Alfa Legend Ned. What he didn't know about GT's was not worth knowing lol. Before long plans were made to uprate the chassis. I fitted eibach pro S springs to koni FSD's. At the time i lived in east sussex and some of the road surfaces to my work base at heathrow were horrendous so i needed a compliant setup. The new suspension transformed the car. But she still felt wallowy in fast cornering. So quick phone conversation to Ned to discuss this and the eibach ARB's were ordered. This transformed the car. Gone was the wallowyness, and i had eradicated the slight understeer. The car felt planted and more agile. Plus the steering felt more communicative as a result. I had the car remapped and i had 30 solid thousand miles worth of fun with the car. One special drive to my Mothers house in the south of france. She effortlessly blasted across france, and i got to drive her on some incredible mountain and coastal roads that summer.

Not so long after that, In a moment of regret part exchanged her for an Audi TT QS. I actually remember driving the Audi home thinking.."oh hell what have i done" Numb steering huge understeer. It felt dead in my hands after my modified GT.
Yet i had a good time in the end with the car. I heavily modified the car, and it did improve the fun factor. I learnt a lot with the car and met alot of great people, who became my friends on the scene. I even did the show scene and got a 4 page magazine feature. Still honestly deep down i still pinned for another GT?
So roll on 3 years later, and i got an offer on my by then well recognised TTqs. In the end it was an offer in the end i could not refuse. There was no doubt what my next car would be.
So after a fair amount of hunting and discussions with Ned on 3.2 V6 or clover leaf 170..lol. I bought a low mileage one careful owner black GT 170 q2 from Veloces in London. I knew i would be keeping this one. And laughably.."Well now anyway". The car has fought me all the way..Metal Swirl flap going through my engine killing my turbo, and the rest. So for me it was a good time or excuse to modify and make the car faster and stronger. There have been some dark moments, lol, but i am finally getting there. The car is rock solid and nicely modified. She brings a constant smile to my face when i drive her. Autolusso has been brilliant to say the least. Its been fun researching, developing and replacing with much better more efficient parts along the way. I still love the GT after all this time and and its all been worth it. I am far from finished and developing yet..

"Who thought diesels could be this bloody fun"

Eibach pro S coilovers. Eibach ARB kit. Autolusso remap. JTD performance high flow downpipe. Bespoke spec Turbo Dynamics hybrid.JTD performance FMIC kit.JTD performance high flow downpipe. Autolusso de swirl flap mod.Autolusso Mocal oil cooler kit. Autolusso smf GTA clutch kit. GTA 330mm big brake kit.JTD perf inlet pipe.Wizard exhaust system. 19x8 OZ superleggera's.
"big thanks to Ned and the lads at Autolusso"
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Lancaster

Member car:

147 & GQV

Saw one in my College car park when I was 16, wanted it instantly.

Waited until I finished uni, went to Hawaii last year, my girlfriend found one and sent it for me to look at. Came home very jetlagged, went to look at the car the next day (still jetlagged) and bought it on a whim and a ten minute think.

Stupid, very stupid. But the best decision I ever made with the car. Hasn't caused any issues at all and I can sort of look after it myself a lot of the time. Beautiful colour with a cream interior. I never looked back.

MOT came back clean with minor exhaust corrosion. Service costs are good, easy to look after and an ideal second car.
AO Member
County: Kent

Member car:

05 156v6 veloce

I had just sold my 330i (e46) and wanted something newer (6yrs ago) and saw my 05 plate 156 for 5k and thought what a bargain, i had no intention of buying a alfa but did like the look of the 156 sportwagon i saw new in 2000 on a building site carpark.

Tbh im looking at changing cars and i wont buy another alfa even though mine has been very reliable but after testing the giulietta i found it lacking in many ways but i will always have fond memories of the marque..
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Back in the late eighties I had a Sud Sprint Speciale limited edition. After I sold this I ran an MG Midget for the best part of 10 years. With the arrival of my son the MG was a bit too impractical, so I thought of another Alfa. I ended up with a 145 Cloverleaf which was a great car but not the most reliable so I sold it after a couple of years.

I then decided to be really sensible and get a four door car, a 156 2.0 TS followed four years later by a 156 JTS. Then a couple of years ago I fancied a change and as I don't need a car for commuting decided to look at a GT 3.2 as I loved the look of the GT but it's a proper four seater (and its a bit of a 'Q' car compared to the GTA's). I'm also old enough that it was the same to insure as the 156. The first one I drove was pretty ropey but God what an engine! I found mine at a dealer in Reigate, low miles and great condition. Can't think of driving anything else at the moment.....

Visit my Flickr pages at https://www.flickr.com/photos/chrism399/

My Alfa History: 1983 Alfasud Sprint Speciale, 1999 145 Cloverleaf (QV), 2001 156 2.0 TS, 2003 156 2.0 JTS
My Current Alfa: 2005 GT 3.2 V6
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
About 3 years ago I fancied a change from the Saab turbo I was running and wanting something a bit rare and perhaps oddball, started looking around.
Well, the one marque I kept coming back to was Alfa and being a coupe fan at first set my sights on a GTV.
These seemed very affordable, but a few months later, finances took a turn for the better and the GT came on my radar, as near the cash machine I used was often parked a red GT Cloverleaf and I just thought what a beautiful car and fell in love with the styling.
Took a test drive in an overpriced, badly prepared GT Lusso at a car supermarket, mainly to see what they drove like as had never even driven an Alfa before, and its then I knew the GT was the car for me.
Well, some time later I realised that I may just be able to stretch to a Cloverleaf and found a 1 owner, 38000 mile example in that stunning Atlantico Blue.
A year later I still love this car, its very special to own and to drive and a rare sight on the roads, very few around, seriously thinking of keeping mine for a very long time to come
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Looking for a car that was ..

1) fun to drive
2) practical
3) beautiful to look at
4) a bit different exclusive or special
5) capable of mileage without breaking the bank.
6) a nice place to be on long commutes

After a long long look it was down to a saab 93 which just felt too "middle aged"and not remotely special and either a Brera or GT.

The Brera lacked boot space and felt heavy and unresponsive and despite the SV which I loved wasn't the car for me.

The GT was a revelation. .more raw and visceral when pushed and yet civilised on a long M-way jaunt.

Designed by bertone and Italian was a bonus for me as I'm half italian..!

My first was a JTS and not the best introduction to the marque but when it got written off in a car park the only replacement on my mind was another GT, this time diesel , which has been mapped quaifed and ARB 'd and I can say without doubt I am extremely happy with my choice...

My next car if I get a job nearer will be another GT. ...this time with a V6 by the late great Guiseppe Busso.

Yup I'm hooked.. ?
AO Silver Member
County: Merseyside
After writing off my previous car in 2010 I obviously needed a new car. I was doing 25k a year commuting and was looking for a diseasel automatic Mondeo or similar. Basically I just needed a tool for driving and pretty much had a day to buy one. After numerous test drives at a few places I was loosing the will to live.

However while at Evans Halshaw in Ashton-under-Lyne I saw a 2003 147 2.0ts in Nuvola Blue looking unloved st the back of the site. It was in budget and the colour kind of drew me to it. My hed told me it would be thirsty and unreliable, but something kept drawing me back. In the end I asked for the keys and before I'd even started it I'd fallen for her. A quick test drive and that was that! I had to have her.

Five years later and I've still got her. Spent a bloody fortune on her, and she has been both thirsty and unreliable, but I love her and have no intentions of ever getting rid. She's now worth about 800 but I didn't hesitate in spending 300 on new stainless exhaust. There is just something special about her and all the Alfa's I've driven.

Things workwise over the last few years have been tough and real sacrifices have had to be made in order to keep her. My wife thoroughly understands though and has been the one who has persuaded me to keep the Alfa during the tough times.

Things are looking up now and we are looking at starting a family. I can't wait to share the 147 with our children, in the same way my Dad did with his Anglia and my Grandad did with his Supra.

Last edited by DaveAlfa147; 27-03-15 at 22:45.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

gt or , passion , share , started , stories