Intermittent knocking noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 25-03-15 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire
Intermittent knocking noise

I wonder if anyone could help me, I have a Alfa GT 2.0JTS which i absolutely love but its got an intermittent knocking noise like there's something in the tyre but its fine. It is loudest when the cars cruising along with no pedals being pressed but as soon as i press the clutch pedal it disappears. I've had it in 2 garages so far and neither of them could get the noise to happen which is annoying but based on my description they have said it could be gearbox but couldn't be sure unless they stripped it.
I would like to avoid the cost of a gearbox strip if its just a bearing or loose bolt somewhere so if anyone has had a similar experience could you help me please.

Thanks Gaz
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
I seem to be having the same problem with my spider. When you cruise and put your foot on the clutch the noise disappears and once the clutch starts to reach the biting point the noise returns - really really annoying!! Just had the front braks done - not that, not wheel bearing either. No idea what it is but would love to know, especially as I have just had a full re spray and she looks beautiful just need her to sound a bit better. Please help. Knocking appears to be coming from the front offside area.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 27-03-15 Thread Starter
County: South Yorkshire
Hi Clacton
I've had my car in garage today with a guy i trust and he's saying its the front brakes so im gunna get them changed over and pray for the best.
I've been searching the forums and I've found out some people have had luck changing something call the spider bearings and cup which involves taking the gearbox out.
Hope that helps and good luck in the future.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

intermittent , knocking , noise