Blocked folded mirror solution 147/GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 24-03-15 Thread Starter
County: West Sussex
Blocked folded mirror solution 147/GT

I believe the subject of blocked folding mirrors was discussed many times,with many people ending with a snapped mirror base.
Due to the weather conditions in the UK and being very close to sea, accumulation of limescale salt and subsequent corrosion of metals is frequent.The same thing happens to the mirror apparatus.
The mirror axis is a 2 conical piece device with a coil inserted to the upper inner part.
the two pieces are very close to each other, with sawtooth like pattern to interlock at on/off positions.At this specific part things go really bad(the entire thing looks like salt rock).
What to do?
1st do not apply force what so ever to the mirror. It will snap
2.Remove mirror.Easy peasy 3 bolts,one torq, one screwdriver for inner cover. Well explained at this forum
3.Remove mirror glass.Easy but need some patience and good light to see the little buggers.
4.Remove the electric motor.It is waterproof but flooding is on the way.
5.Wash an rub the things you can with warm water
6. Use vinegar or limescale remover( i used both,Viakal was faster).
With Viakal apply directly to the joints,at the base and everywere you can, and let it be for 10-20 min. Use a sink or proper container. Rinse with hot water in the conainer and let it soak a while.
7. I was really ****ed and washed the damn thing after 5.
8.Dry it if you can for better grip.
9.Take a flat head screwdriver and lever the pieces. Do it few times and you will realize it is alive.Do the back also(I had the back cover out also and from the small holes I had access)
10. Twist it slowly(you need to fix the base somewere).
Lube it,spay it, and you have a brand new mirror.
The good thing is that you can do it indoors, with bad weather.
The presence of a woman is better to avoided because this thing is seeding muck all over the place,plus the water spillage is un-avoided.
I dont have pics but I have a spare unrepaired one, with the guts out, and a snapped one,same story.
My mirror snapped while driving!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 or gt , blocked , folded , mirror , solution