Power Steering Neutral Problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Power Steering Neutral Problem

Hey guy's,

Was out today in the 156 V6 where I had to take a particularly nasty U-Turn.

I couldn't perform it in one go and knew this whilst I was still turning to the right with the wheel on full lock, whilst doing this I stuck the car in neutral and continued moving forward and turning the car in.

I then realized the car had cut out. Oh dear... lol

This has happened to me before when turning in and being in neutral, is this a common problem, do I just need to stop sticking the car in neutral when the wheel's turned on full lock, because this obviously uses up some of the power and as we all know revs dip when a car's steering wheel is turned.

The revs used to dip on all my previous car's when turning the steering wheel, but never to the extent of stalling.

The car has cut out on me one other time as well, this is when I was reversing for a good 10 meters quite quickly and stuck the car into 1st.

It never happens when I am driving along normally, only when the car's in neutral and I'm turning / reversing.

Any clues???

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

a very dirty car

Re: Power Steering Neutral Problem

Your analysis is quite correct

You may be able to make things a bit better by cleaning the throttle body butterfly with some carb cleaner. Dirty throttle bodies are the most common cause of idle revs fluctuating and/or dropping to low. It could be that a clean will let the car manage the full lock issue better.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

neutral , power , problem , steering