Here are the clues, Halfords alarming service - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 18-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Here are the clues, Halfords alarming service

Halfords MOT dept passed my Alfa 156 this afternoon, with only a wiper blade and 'rewiring' of a non-functioning rear fog light (soldered for £15). Relieved to be legal for another year, I threw my bags in the boot and started her up. 'BOOT OPEN' said the display. Funny. I re-opened the boot and gave the lid a good slam. 'BOOT OPEN' said the display. I switched off and restarted the motor - display normal.

Oh well - off I went to B'n'Q for some DIY purchases. Locked the car with the zapper heard the confirmation beep and did my shopping. Came out, put the DIY stuff in the boot and went to drive off. 'BOOT OPEN' said the display, and this time, slamming the lid and restarting the motor did not normalise things.

I headed back to Halfords, thinking that the clues added up to -maybe- that the process of soldering a broken wire in the boot, had disturbed something that detects the boot closure.
Sure enough, the mechanic pointed to the corrugated flexible rubber boot on the left side of the boot lid, and said that was where he had located the broken wire - one, he said of 13 in a 'loom'. He waggled the rubber boot about for a bit, and the 'BOOT OPEN' display went out. Phew!

I drove home and unloaded - gave the boot lid a good slam (!) and expected the usual beep after zapping. Nothing. The locks were all in the 'up' position. Re-tried. Nothing. Using the key as a key, I tried to lock the drivers door mechanically. The lock went down then sprang up again. After a few more attempts, the driver's door locked - but the passenger door did not. I took the key round to the passenger side and physically locked it. I walked away to the sound of the 'not secure, not secure at all' beep.

Oh well, at least the car is (sort of) locked.

If anyone of you guys knows the location of the boot sensor, I'd be very gratefull if you could share and describe it, as the locking/security system has, in one day, gone haywire.

Only 33 1.8 TS Veloces left, and counting...

Last edited by Jim Burton; 19-03-15 at 18:21.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Boot switch is in the boot part of the lock.
If the boot is open, the central locking will open again, but the alarm will be armed.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 19-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Ten Year old wiring...

Thanks for info there, David - Halfords confirm that, as you say, if the boot is perceived as being 'open', the central locking system is non-functional.

The mechanic showed me the wiring loom which has endured constant flexing as the boot is opened and shut over 10 years, and the insulation is starting to become brittle and cracked. In the case of the rear fog light and my boot sensor, also intermittent contact from a probably fractured metal wire inner seems to be the culprit.

I'm guessing this will be a problem for lots of ageing 156s and so I asked the mechanic what he would do if it was his car. "Disconnect the sensor in the boot lid part above the lock". That way, the computer would think that the boot was permanently shut, and the central locking would function normally.

I'll be doing that job over the weekend and will post some photos for community info.
AO Member
County: Cheshire
Its a problem for all cars with electrics in opening panels, drivers doors are usually the first to go with the frequency they are opened over all the years.
I wouldn't mess about repairing just 1 or 2 wires, they are all going to fail around the same time, i normally use some 7 core flex to rewire the whole lot from inside the panel to inside the body then you have brand new cable running all the way through the flex point.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alarming , clues , halfords , service , sherlockto