Engine Management Light + VDC - solved - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 14-03-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Rutland

Member car:

GT 1.9D

Thumbs Up Engine Management Light + VDC - solved

06 Registered JTDM GT

Just thought I'd share in case anyone else has a similar problem.

Last Fri, driving home Engine Management Light and VDC warning lights come on on speedo and info display, car still drives normally. Stop and restart engine, VDC goes out but Engine Management Light still on, drive car home 5 miles, no problem.

Put cheap code reader onto EOBD socket and read P0201 (Injector 1) fault, car still running perfectly. I know some ECU's store engine fault codes for 5 restarts then clear it if it does not reappear so restart the car 4-5 times and the fault clears. I put it down to an electrics gremlin.

Drive down to the gym that evening and as I hit 60mph the faults reappears, repeat the previous process and it clears again, continue driving and it reappears again 5 miles later which to me means I've an intermittant electrical fault, hate these.

Take the engine cover off Sat morning and have a good look, car running great, and everything looks firmly attached, but if I move the wires for injector 1 it stutters and the fault comes back again. Having spent some time looking up possible faults on here I'm starting to think it's a broken wire in the harness. Decide to have a bit of a play and go to remove the plug to the injector when I notice the plastic locking mechanism on the plug has cracked, think to myself I wonder if it's a vibration issue causing the plug to move and loose contact with the injector at particular engine revs.

One cable tie later I've held the locking mechanism firmly down on the plug, now moving the wires does not cause the fault.

7 days of driving and the fault has not come back so I'm guessing my diagnosis was probably correct, I'll order a new connector and splice it into the wiring harness to make the repair permanent but for now it's +1 to cable ties.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , light , management , solved , vdc