My Accident - Need advice - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 23 Old 22-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

County: -

Member car:

My Accident - Need advice

Roundabout.jpg Foto 0000-0182b.JPG

Foto0000-0202.jpg Foto0000-0205.jpg

Foto0000-0208.jpg Foto0000-0182A.jpg

Foto0000-0201.jpg Foto0000-0207.jpg

Yet another Alfa gets side swiped by moronic drivers []

Happened on the roundabout below the A406 flyover in Barking East London. Map below.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...Roundabout.jpg

I was in the correct (left) lane for the turning (3 o'clock position) while he was in the middle lane, labelled A406 South when he decided that he also wanted to go that way. When parallel to me, he turned into me with such speed that I could not avoid him.

I jump out raging etc and asked him what the **** kind of manouver was that. He starts mouthing off that he was in the right as he wanted to turn into the same road as me. I then pointed out the label on the road and asked what he was doing in that lane! Between me jumping out and asking him this, I aske for his details twice. He refused saying it was not his fault. At this, I called the Police. Since we were still in the middle of the road (see 1st pic below) they came pretty quickly.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0182.jpg

As there were no injuries and it was deemed not to be a majot accident, the police just made him provide details and corroborated that they were correct.

As you can see from the pics, he pretty much hit every panel/door on the driver side []

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0202.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0205.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0208.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...0000-0182A.jpg

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0201.jpg

Somehow, he even managed to push the bumper out of alignment on the passenger side []

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...o0000-0207.jpg

Can't believe it when he said he didn't see me next to him []

I saw his bonnet come parallel to mine the WHAM!

Big question is, I'm with Adrian Flux (Royal Sun Alliance) They said if I go with one of their garages, they can give me a loan car but if I take it to a garage of my choice, they won't. Also, it will be up to me to chase the repair and anything I don't like, repair wise, I will also have to fight them to put it right.

What do you guys suggest???

156 2.0 TS SP3

PLANNED: Ally tray, Cybox exhaust
READY: OEM GTA Xenon headlights, OMP Lower Front Strutbrace, OMP Rear Strutbrace
FITTED: OEM GTA headlights with Osram Hyper H7 2100 lumens , GTA instrument cowels, GT steering wheel, deconed, GTA intake mod, Red*Dot 20 groove discs front and back & fast road pads, OMP Upper Front Strutbrace, new Bonnet & Boot badges, Poly hu bushes, Supersport suspension kit .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Global Mod Team

Member car:

Alfa 156 GTA SW

Re: My Accident - Need advice

Is there legal cover with your insurance? This is exactly what you need it for, as they will do all the chasing.
They'll always try to encourage you to use their own repairer, because it saves them money, but if you have one you trust, maybe that repairer will supply a courtesy car.
Has the guy now accepted responsibility? Is it being repaired on his insurance?
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage

Sorry to hear mate. I live in Barking and it's amazing how many drivers that have tunnel vision. Especially on that frigging roundabout.

You live nearby I take it?

Anyhoo mate not sure what to suggest. Go with the flow. I'll sure you'll get it sorted. I'd check first of all to see if any panels will just polish out. The front ends on these 156's are sometimes hard to get back to the way they were.
(Post Link) post #4 of 23 Old 22-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Is there legal cover with your insurance? This is exactly what you need it for, as they will do all the chasing.
They'll always try to encourage you to use their own repairer, because it saves them money, but if you have one you trust, maybe that repairer will supply a courtesy car.
Has the guy now accepted responsibility? Is it being repaired on his insurance?
Turns out I got Legal Cover. They said I have to ask for "Credit Car Loan" once I have decided where I will take it.

Never had to take my 156 for bodywork, only engine rebuild, so am at a loss as to where to take it.

Bought it from Black & White in Newbury but they are too far (live in Essex) and they are very expensive so don't want to run the risk writing it off.

Anyone know of a good place near Chadwell Heath that does good bodywork, pref from your own experiences???
(Post Link) post #5 of 23 Old 22-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Sorry to hear mate. I live in Barking and it's amazing how many drivers that have tunnel vision. Especially on that frigging roundabout.

You live nearby I take it?

Anyhoo mate not sure what to suggest. Go with the flow. I'll sure you'll get it sorted. I'd check first of all to see if any panels will just polish out. The front ends on these 156's are sometimes hard to get back to the way they were.

Ya, live in Chadwell Heath.

Stupid thing was, up until he hit me, we were the only ones on the roundabout

Front and rear wings defo dented/creased. The doors might be ok but there are chips etc. Front bumper/mounts will need looking at too as it has moved .5cm over to the left.
Nev

The guy sounds like a total arse.

Hope it all comes out nice 'n' shiny!

BTW how did you get a Google sat picture of the incident?

(Post Link) post #7 of 23 Old 22-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nev View Post
The guy sounds like a total arse.

Hope it all comes out nice 'n' shiny!

BTW how did you get a Google sat picture of the incident?

I wish!

Standard pic but the two cars happened to be in the same place.
genus101

Really..really sorry to hear about your accident. Regarding fault, I am sure that you did not admit, and as such neither did he? Irrelevant anyway, after my little prang today and talking to a couple of solicitors (please correct me if I am wrong) if there is any question of liability then the insurance companies will look at the accident objectively and try to ascertain blame that way...always a problem without witnesses. I personally would stick to my guns and using your pictures and testimonial keep them focussed on the fact that the other driver was driving with undue care and attention...this could be a little dificult since the police were there and didn't get involved...but I would try anyway.

Regarding the hire car, is this wrapped up in your insurance? are you liable for costs if you are found 50:50 or anything like that?

And since a of injuries, physical and psychological can come on after the fact then perhaps a trip to your GP if you start to have stress nd sleepless night over this....

Keep us informed. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

genus101

Really..really sorry to hear about your accident. Regarding fault, I am sure that you did not admit, and as such neither did he? Irrelevant anyway, after my little prang today and talking to a couple of solicitors (please correct me if I am wrong) if there is any question of liability then the insurance companies will look at the accident objectively and try to ascertain blame that way...always a problem without witnesses. I personally would stick to my guns and using your pictures and testimonial keep them focussed on the fact that the other driver was driving with undue care and attention...this could be a little dificult since the police were there and didn't get involved...but I would try anyway.

Regarding the hire car, is this wrapped up in your insurance? are you liable for costs if you are found 50:50 or anything like that?

And since a of injuries, physical and psychological can come on after the fact then perhaps a trip to your GP if you start to have stress nd sleepless night over this....

Keep us informed. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

AO Platinum Member

County: Surrey

Sorry to hear about this.

You can't be forced to go to one of their authorised repairers and as Bazza has said your own repairer may have a courtesey car. If not, and you're confident he'll be held to blame, you can hire a car and seek to recover the cost from his insurers. If you have legal expense insurance they should arrange this for you.

Good luck
Oggy_GTA

What a pain, I feel for you.

This has given me flashbacks - I used to have a grey 156 just like yours. That was rear-ended by some young ****** in his dad's company beemer as I was turning right (he wasn't even looking at the road and I saw it all happen in the rear view mirror). Luckily me and the kids were fine - testament to the benefits of a car with a boot cum crumple zone!

I refused the recommended repairer and took it to my local Fiat/Alfa dealer (Platts) who also have an excellent body shop. Courtesy car was provided as per usual with Platts. All costs were borne by the other party's insurer, despite his pathetic attempts to avoid getting insurance companies involved!

Hope things turn out Ok - should do with your legal cover.

AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156

Platt's has a good bodyshop,i used to be a sprayer there!!

think it may bit a little far out though

Richie
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE121 View Post
Platt's has a good bodyshop,i used to be a sprayer there!!

think it may bit a little far out though

Richie
Yeah, a bit. When were you there Richie? You a fellow Stokie?

AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156

Hi left 4 years ago,now painting them horrible plastic TVR's.
Did always like the 156 when i worked there,so i got one and...well its the best car ive had so far!!..

Regards

Richie

p.s yes a fellow Stokie!! (well newcastle realy but close enough)

Last edited by RICHIE121; 24-06-07 at 11:47.
Oggy_GTA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RICHIE121 View Post
Hi left 4 years ago,now painting them horrible plastic TVR's.
Did always like the 156 when i worked there,so i got one and...well its the best car ive had so far!!..

Regards

Richie

p.s yes a fellow Stokie!! (well newcastle realy but close enough)
Good man! Chances are you sprayed my 156 TS 2.0 in Africa Grey when it was rear-ended. S'ok, I don't expect you to remember

Paul.

AO Silver Member

County: Somerset

Member car:

147 1.6 Lusso

Question for Rob3rto, how did you manage to get the photos of just before the accident from the spy in the sky perspective? I am intriqued.....
AO Member

This is a non fault accident. Ie not your fault.

Contact an accident management company and they will deal with everything for you.

I was recently involved in an accident with a BT van that was his fault.

They got my money within 2 weeks, gave me a courtsy car during that time as well. However my personal injury claim is still being dealt with but although the driver and I did not admitt to anything the insurance companies knew I was in the right as by the sounds of it you were.

The company I used that were very quick for me were angel assistance who were recommended by adrian flux (my insurance company also) to deal with the claim as I was 3rd party only.

Insurance companies have deals with garages with lower rates so thats why they want you to use them, however it is the garage doing the work that should give you the replacement car not your insurance unless it is a write off, judging by the damage it would be a CAT C or D repair ie worth more than 50% of the car, personally I would get it written off and get one that hasnt been in an accident as after a knock the car is never the same anyway.

Sorry to hear about the bad news.
(Post Link) post #18 of 23 Old 25-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovelyred147 View Post
Question for Rob3rto, how did you manage to get the photos of just before the accident from the spy in the sky perspective? I am intriqued.....
Just a luck hit on Google Earth Maps. So happened to be in the right places
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Sorry to hear about your crash,
AO Member

Member car:

ALFA 156

Maybee not painted youre car,as i was mainly smart repair I.e doing small blow in's etc..... John Bailey probably painted it for you,i have a good mechanic who looks after my car who still works there,and i also left me dad working for em!! not a bad garage on the whole! miss it sometimes.

dont want to hijack this guys thread but dont know how to contact you without going through this page.

Regards

Richie
AO Platinum Member

County: Essex
Garage

Is this fixed now Rob?
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa 156

Hope everthing is sorted out now.

Funny thing is I had an Alfa in African Grey , before my current Alfa, I(& my wife) loved it in that colour, but twice people ran in to us saying that they simply did not see the car, and I had a few other close call's

It's one of the reasons we changed the car !

Always wondered what the accident rate was for this colour of car.
(Post Link) post #23 of 23 Old 15-02-08 Thread Starter
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OperationAlfa View Post
Is this fixed now Rob?
Nope.

BAck in July, someone (forgot to take name) at insurance company said that if I did not get the work done until 3rd party accepted liability, my no claims and premium would not be affected. Like **** it didn't. Up from 310 with 3 years (would have had 4 by now) to 550 with only 1 year!!! And still the fecker is denying responsibility. Should have faked injury to get Police report!

As I have now paid 550, I may as well get it sorted at Alfa in Romford and let the Insurance company do some work to claw the back from the other guy!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
accident , advice