Leak of water into the A-pillar of my 156 (2002)... help! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Leak of water into the A-pillar of my 156 (2002)... help!

Hi Everyone

I've had my 2002 156 JTS for about 4 months, and no leaks of any kind! No sign of staining on the A pillars either, so it sounds like it has never leaked…

It's been very rainy here in Australia over the last week, and the other day I noticed a stain on the passenger side A pillar (front) trim, from water leaking! I was kinda shocked as you'd imagine…

I'd love some suggestions as to the cause. My mechanic checked the sunroof drains and they seem to be working fine, so I don't think it's a sunroof issue.

Here are some thoughts:
- Could the windscreen seal be leaking?
- The car was parked on an uphill slope in heavy rain the other night, could this have caused a problem?
- The other night I opened the door in heavy rain for my wife, who then stood under her umbrella talking for another five minutes… I pulled the door closed but it didn't quite click closed, could water have leaked in that way? I can see how it might trickle onto the seat but having looked at the seal, I don't see how this could have let water run into the A-pillar…

I'd love to hear any suggestions as to the cause / solution / ideas about this problem… I know there are lots of leak-related posts but I'd love to hear thoughts on the A-pillar leak issue as most of those concern leaking to the rear pillars.

Any info or ideas would be really appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 25
County: Shropshire
Re: Leak of water into the A-pillar of my 156 (2002)... help!

Try searching for other threads about this problem.

There are a number of common causes of water leaks in this area, ranging from door seal problems to leafs in the drainage channels for the windscreen. Previous threads will give you all you need to know.

In your case it does sound like a windscreen fault. I've got a similar problem with my 147. Windscreen fitter I talked to the other day suggested it was probably a void in the sealant and would need the whole screen taking out/replacing!

Just bought a small tube of silicone sealant supposedly designed for the job. If I can figure out how to remove the surrounding trim without damaging it I will try to block the route of the water myself. At the moment when it rains, I get a soggy tax disk!

Good luck.

60% of the time it works everytime.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 2002 , apillar , leak , water