Possible variator problem? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 17-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Tasmania
Possible variator problem?

Two weeks ago I had the timing belts/tensioner replaced on our 2002 147 2.0TS. The car currently has done 40,000kms, and only 600km since the belt change. The car has always been fed Castrol R 10W-60 and has never run low on oil - I check it weekly and always keep it full.

The last few days I've noticed performance a bit soft under 3,500-4,000rpm - it's not as responsive as before. Also, the car has developed a faint but noticable "growling" sound at 1,800 to approx. 3,000rpm - both on over-run and under throttle. There is no "diesel" sound at start-up, which I understand is the main symptom of impending variator trouble.

The car recently was involved in an accident which resulted in moderate front-end damage - new bonnet, grill, headlights & guards The engine was slightly tilted back after the accident, but as far as I could see didn't suffer impact damage. BTW, the belts & tensioner were replaced after the accident. I'm wondering if an exhaust manifold has cracked?

My question is - are these symptoms typical of a variator on the way out? Could a faulty variator be heard outside the range of 1,800-3,000rpm?

Any help or advice gladly received.

Last edited by splashalot2000; 18-06-07 at 01:15.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Possible variator problem?

It sounds to me as if the intake manifold has cracked. It is made of plastic and it is quite common problem, even more so if the car has had a bump.

AO Silver Member
Re: Possible variator problem?

my engine ticks or even makes a loud rattle on start up for 1 second maybe once a week.
I was sure it was the variator going on these forums, well SGT have said my variator sounds fine and it is the heat shield as its cracked...
I'm not so sure they are right, but will only find out once i change the shield. will update once i do it (in 3 months)

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

problem , variator