hand brake - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 6 Old 25-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Kildare
hand brake

Hi all. I went to put my handbrake on and my car is rolling.
Have to leave it in gear now until i fix it.
Any body know if i could fix it my self or get a mechanic to fix it.
Is an alfa gt 1.8 ts.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
Does the lever come all the way up with little resistance? If so, its probably a snapped cable. New cables are cheap, £10 - £15, and easy to fit. 15 minute job at most if you know what you are doing. Cables are handed so make sure you get the correct one. Have a search on here, I'm sure there are a few threads expalaining in detail how to do it - or your mechanic should have no trouble.
AO Member
County: Tyne and Wear

Member car:

156 V6 SW

just got 2 new handbrake cables for my 156 GTA (nothing wrong with the hold ones just replacing the calipers so thought might as well) for the princely sum of 18 pounds from car parts for less.

Hopefully easy to fit!
AO Platinum Member
Originally Posted by brainhole View Post
Hi all. I went to put my handbrake on and my car is rolling.
Have to leave it in gear now until i fix it.
You should be leaving it in gear anyway...

So don't stop doing it after your handbrake is fixed.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
I always leave mine in gear just in case the handbrake ever fails.
AO Member
County: Suffolk
Hi David,
Pretty new to the forum and I see I could spend a lot of time trying to find what I want; I'm sixty eight and would prefer to die behind the wheel of my car as opposed to in front of my PC. However, I have recently acquired a Q4 159, 06. It's in lovely nick and just had timing chains, all guides, tensioners and water pump replaced. I know because I watched it being done. She has four new P zeros on her and it is currently being fitted with new discs and pads all round. She's done 100500 miles but been maintained by some reputable guys, Auto Lusso being one and AMC? - Chelmsford, before coming to Auto Avanti, who have looked after my GT and GTV 3.0 for years and have been doing the current work for me. They also adjusted my previous 156 wheel alignment, to great effect. I have had good mileage out of my tyres, but then again, I'm not an aggressive driver (continental motorways aside). Now I understand there is probably similar adjustments to be made to the four wheel alignment on the Q4, so I would like to get that right before taking her to Florence. I have seen the fronts should be adjusted to 0 degrees toe-in - is this correct - and what about the rears? Any help in this direction would be much appreciated. It is a lovely car and have waited a while for the right one to come along - much indebted to the guys at Avanti for that. And can you throw any light on who designed the 4 wheel drive system? The quality looks German and I have heard; because of the relative low volume produced, it was put out to a German Company (German in charge of Alfa at the time and he did delay the launch because he was unhappy with the set up/build quality). Could be just innuendo but while the car was up on the ramp, it just struck me, how very well it was all put together - it seemed like everything underneath knew its place and looked "Brick Built". Thanking you in advance for any advice in this, or any other regard about the 159 Q4.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brake , hand