147 Selespeed problems - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 24-02-15 Thread Starter
County: New South Wales
147 Selespeed problems

So I got my 2002 147 Selespeed about 2 months ago. I can drive it a bit hard sometimes but I've taken good care of it - recently got it serviced with new brakes and timing belt and the like.

However in the past couple of days I've been having a few problems with the Selespeed transmission.

The problems are:
- when starting up, it won't change gears to either reverse or 1st, it stays stuck in neutral. I have to turn the ignition on and off to get it going, sometimes 2/3 times before it changes.
- sometimes when I put it in 3rd it gets stuck in that also and won't up or downshift. When I have to come to a complete stop it goes into neutral and again won't change. This has caused me grief a few times at the lights.

I'm not a mechanic at all and I don't have any idea what the problem could be. Got ideas? Is it an easy fix or something that's going to set me back a lot? I had to borrow money to pay for the brakes/belt and now I'm worrying this is gonna be another 4 figure job and if it is whether Im better off just ditching it and buying something else (a road I really don't want to go down because I love the car to bits when it's running well).
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: West Midlands
Hi, welcome to AO

it sounds very much like you need a new accumulator, the part that controls the selespeed pressure, or a new pump, more likely the former, but either way it is best to check with diagnostic programme like ECUscan to be sure as it is very easy to replace unnecessary parts on a sele at great cost. It takes about an hour to replace with no special tools.

A new accumulator costs about 85 plus shipping, not sure about costs in Oz but EB Spares in the UK to ship world wide, a lead you can source locally and the ECUscan can be downloaded for 50 euros.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , problems , selespeed