"Motor Management System Failure" - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 16-06-07 Thread Starter
"Motor Management System Failure"

Hi fellow ALFA fans. A NEWBIE here!! I am Kevin from South Africa and I drive a 2003 156 2.0 TSpark (as it is known here, not sure if the names change around the world). I have been advised to seek assistance with my problem in this forum. I purchased the vehicle in 2004 with 11000 km's. Cam-belt snapped at 40000 odd and was replaced and then the motor was replaced (with a recon unit) at 57000 km's due to a "bearing knock" problem, apparently a spin-off problem from the cam-belt snap, and until now has been performing beautifully. Now, I am in a bit of a dilemma!! This morning, coming back from our local mall, at about 4000 rpm, going through the gears, the 156 gave a sudden jerk and the "motor control system failure" light came on, with the proverbial "beep-beep" on the system monitor. I slowed to about 2000 rpm in top gear, changed down and continued going. The remaining trip home seemed okay. I drove as normal, not noticing any difference in performance and no further jerking, I didn't push it though - but the light remained on. I got home and turned off the engine and again immediately restarted. All seems okay but the "engine light" stays on. I have just read through some of the member posts including the post from "IanBRD", I think his nick is, about his battery problem. My battery was replaced in March this year, so I doubt it be the battery. Is "sudden jerk" not perhaps the magic words here? I should also add that I my 156 is about 15000 km's overdue its 80000km service. I will be most grateful should anyone be able to advise. I have a 400km trip ahead of me tomorrow (Sunday - all Alfa dealers closed) and am not sure if I can take the risk. Thanks guys. Cheers

“Be careful about reading health books. You may die of a misprint” KEVIN SA
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: "Motor Management System Failure"

Hi Kevin,
first thing to check is the connections to the lambda sensors in the exhaust manifold.
They caused many warning lights as the cables were originally slightly too short and it was pulling the connector apart!

what he said...
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 16-06-07 Thread Starter

Thanks David. I'll see if I can find it. Getting dark here right now, may need to leave it till morning. Thanks for the advice.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT