Suspension Components & Poly Bushes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

(Post Link) post #1 of 36 Old 19-02-15 Thread Starter
LaB

County: -

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

Suspension Components & Poly Bushes

Hello,

Car: 147 1.9 JTDM Q2 (150)

Having read most of the forums about noisy suspension I have decided to do an overhaul front and back.

I am looking to replace the upper and lower arms at the front, and the track and radius arms at the back. I'm also planning on replacing the ARB links too, front and back. Ideally I would replace the anti roll bar itself, however, I think it's a bit out of my comfort zone. I've read the guides and it requires dropping the subframe..

My plan at the moment is to purchase Moog / TRW components and then replace the fitted bushes with new PowerFlex poly bushes before fitting to the car.

I have a couple of questions:

1) Is there much difference between the Moog and the TRW components? In general Moog tend to be a little more expensive, but people seem to swear by them. Does anyone have any experience?

2) Is it worth replacing all the standard bushes with PowerFlex poly bushes?

I don't thrash the car at all but the roads I use on a daily basis are pretty bad (pot holes and bumps).

I'm looking to get the best setup to maximize the time before I have to do it again!

Thanks for your time.

Laurence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
TRW arms or genuine is the way to go. I have ebay jobbies on mine with powerflexed uppers and they are holding up really well but they seem to be hit and miss with people. Never heard of Moog so cant comment.
Some people advise against upgrading front lower arm bushes as they can pop out?.. You can get upgraded meyle HD drop links with 4 year guarantee on ebay, usually cost 30 per axle. ARB 'D' bushes can cause knocking and will need bushes and/or new ARB. Rear hub bush can be a pain to do and you can get uprated bushes for them so well worth doing.
Budget for bolts/washers/nuts as they can be seized solid, especially the rear long bolt going though the hub/strut.
good luck
(Post Link) post #3 of 36 Old 19-02-15 Thread Starter
LaB

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

Hi..

Thanks for the info. I prefer the price of TRW to original! I've heard that TRW actually make the arms for Afla, then Alfa charge multiples of the price! Interesting what you say about the lower bushes possibly popping out. I've not come across that before so good to keep in mind.

Thanks again
AO Member

County: Malaga

Member car:

Alfa 147 1.9jtd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaB View Post
1) Is there much difference between the Moog and the TRW components? In general Moog tend to be a little more expensive, but people seem to swear by them. Does anyone have any experience?
I've been wondering about Moog suspension components too. I understand Moog is well regarded especially in the US, but has anyone tried their alfa parts?
AO Gold Member

County: West Midlands
Moog are part of Federal Mogul, the people who make Ferodo brake parts. Not the synth manufacturer.

I bet there are not such a wide range of manufacturers making these items but one or two who sell them to others to box up so they have a complete range. There are so few Alfas worldwide in the grand scheme of things that it cannot be justified tooling up for such a small market. Do QH, Moog, TRW, Birth all really make their own?
AO Member

Everything is Made in China thats your point?
AO Silver Member

County: Aberdeenshire
I would recommend replacing all those you listed with powerflex with the exception of the upper wishbones.

In my experience the bushes on the upper arms outlasted the balljoint. Every time my arms failed it was the balljoint.

The subframe is easier than you think. The only tricky part is the exhaust (I assume this is in the way on a JTD as well?) As long as you have a good socket set and breaker bar then you should be able to overpower all the bolts.
AO Silver Member

County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

Don't forget strongflex, they're pretty good too...
will01 likes this.
AO Member

I have just replaced the front anti roll bar on my 156 with the Eibach kit. I fitted the rear bar last year as part of a suspension rebuild. Well with courage summond and teeth gritted I went at the front bar...on a two post lift. The exhaust pipe is not a problem imo. Tunnel section underneath hand brake and gear lever needs to be released but leave it hang by its rear most bolts. A transmission jack helps to steady the subframe but it is not essential....it will be supported by the bottom ball joints. In a nut shell, a satisfying job but time consuming.

As for suspension bits and pieces....I sourced TRW front upper and lower arms from MisterAuto.com at very good prices. I replaced the factory bushes in the uppers with Powerflex poly bushes, kept the lowers standard. The rear arms are poly bushed as are the hub bushes but the radius arms remain standard. Eibach Pro springs, Bilstein B6 shock absorbers, new nuts and bolts, suspension mountings and all the rubber pads between springs and shock absorbers all done.

I believe I must be the owner of the best handling 156 1.9 jtd 16v in the North West of Ireland. A good car has become a mighty good car
(Post Link) post #10 of 36 Old 21-02-15 Thread Starter
LaB

Member car:

147 Q2 Sport

Thanks for all the advice :-)

Maybe a stupid question (!), but can you re-use poly bushes? So if the ball joints go and you get new arms, can you stick in your old poly bushes? Or best advised to get new ones?

Thanks also for the vote of confidence on the subframe, ransoman. I'll look into it..

AO Silver Member

County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

Alfa 156 Gta

yes polybushes are meant to last forever...

if they do not so sure but longer than the ball joints
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 Lusso

I'm in the same predicament.

MOT due on the lovely Lusso next month and a pre-inspection has thrown up the need for
new control arms top and bottom on BOTH sides on the front and a new tie bar nearside rear.

After a root around online and ringing around locally I've decided to replace the lot if I can afford to. Looked at loads of different suppliers so head is in a spin from it now.

Thinking of plumping for these on fleabay - especially with a 2 year warranty.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2717744599...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

What do you people think???
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
People have had trouble in the past fitting those eBay cheapo kits... Alignment just isn't right on some of them so it takes far fat longer to get them into place... Then they chew through the bushes in no time as well...

Overall consensus (that I've heard) is to stick with OEM/TRW upper/lower wishbones...

No idea how eBay cheapos would get along if you polybushed them though...
AO Member

County: Lancashire

Member car:

147 Lusso

Yeah, TRW do seem to have the best reputation, but you never know what to believe. And, like anyone else, I hate getting shafted.
rxe
AO Silver Member

County: Berkshire
Most of the ebay cheapies are fundamentally flawed and the bush cracks as soon as the car is lowered to the ground. The bush is meant to rotate with suspension movement, if it is bonded then it will degrade very quickly (<1000 miles).

Birth, from Shop4Parts are a bit more expensive, but good quality - these are the best price/performance option.
AO Silver Member

County: Greater London
Quote:
Originally Posted by _The_Editor_ View Post
People have had trouble in the past fitting those eBay cheapo kits... Alignment just isn't right on some of them so it takes far fat longer to get them into place... Then they chew through the bushes in no time as well...

Overall consensus (that I've heard) is to stick with OEM/TRW upper/lower wishbones...

No idea how eBay cheapos would get along if you polybushed them though...
I put some powerflex bushes on ebay special upper arms. 1000 miles (last week) later i took them off to check and they are all good. Lowers are holding and fit was ok for me
AO Member

Problem with poly is that the grease usually gets out and bushes starts to creek.

@Egon

My mechanic bought Strongflex but he somehow don`t want to use them due to the fact mentioned above. An I am in a procedure to change some suspension parts, uppers and that middle bush of the lowers. Also, the Tie Rod Axle Joint Some advice ?
AO Member

County: City of Zagreb
Garage
I had poly bushes in mine and they did squeek at first few 1000 km (thats because they was installed without any grease)

but after that (few 1000 km) there was only silence and good gooood suspension.

My opinion is that, as they last more they need more time to settle in, but as they do
then they are the thing to wish for!
AO Member

What brand did you used? Did you poly everything or?
AO Member

Garage
Nope! Just the front lower arms and it was strongflex form fleabay (Poland)
AO Silver Member

County: West Midlands
Garage

Member car:

Alfa 166

Birth uppers and lowers on mine. Been fine the last year and 12k miles. No squeaks or issues.

Had trouble with cheaper lowers and got refunded once I returned them. The holes for the sub frame were way out. 5cm. I took photos.

Uppers you can cheap out on if money is tight. But buy decent bottoms. Standard drop links are okay. But again. If you do the job yourself its worth getting the better ones. Its a pain in the bum job like all geometry and suspension. Mainly because they rust to buggery.

Saying that mine had the iriginals on for over 120k. An only an advisory on mot but I changed them anyway. Can felt far tighter afterwards. Get a four wheel alignment after doing such work too.

Its expensive work. But once done should last a few years if you don't cheap out too much.

Uppers you can cheap out on but you will need to grease them from time to time if you want them to last.

Regards
Scott
Alfa 166 2.0 Twinnie - LPG and a few trick performance parts
AO Member

Garage
So Birth is ok? I allways thought that its low-end product

Sent from my ajfon
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
You might not be able to do the bottom arm bushes. They don't come off that easily and powerflex only make them for original arms .. some "OEM" arms have different bush mounting pins sizes ..

I've also hear/read that the ride becomes very harsh with poly bushed lower arms.
AO Silver Member

County: Wiltshire
Top wishbone bushes do wear out but originals seem good for 40,000 to 60,000 miles. When my son's failed I replaced with QH but even though I added extra grease they failed the following MOT less than 6,000 niles later. That car is now polybushed on top wishbones with plenty of grease on installation. Quiet from the off and still tight 10,000 miles later.

There are rumours that some cheap top arms have a different dimension in the bush machining so polybushes won't fit those.
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selespeed0603 View Post
So Birth is ok? I allways thought that its low-end product
Heard they are OK .. not personally tried them.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
bushes , powerflex or pollybush , suspension , trw , wishbones