Suspension Components & Poly Bushes - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
 1Likes

AO Member

County: Lancashire
Garage

Member car:

147 2.0TS Lusso

Prices on the TRW Track Control Arms seems to be v.good from Mister Auto.....thanks for the suggestion above.

Track Control Arm for your ALFA ROMEO 147 (937) 2.0 16V T.SPARK (150Hp)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: City of Zagreb
Garage
Yeah, poly bushes will only fit original sized arms...

Sent from my ajfon
AO Member

County: -

Member car:

TRW supplies suspension parts for Alfa.
Birth ones I've only tried the anti-roll bar bush. The bushes came with Alfa logo on them. Seems fine.
AO Member

County: Surrey
Garage

Member car:

147 jtd 16v mjet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egon View Post
Don't forget strongflex, they're pretty good too...

I'm doing a full strongflex replacement
AO Member

County: TURKEY
I did not want to create new topic, so wanted to ask it from here.

Having an alfa romeo 147 2009 model year 1.9 jtd q2 which is tuned with big turbo and other stuffs. Problem is suspension components as upper and lower arms wear much then normal. So I would like to do something else about it.

Those polyurethan bushes like strongflex are making me attracted at. Are they good? Reliable? Did anyone use?

I would like to buy them but local mechanic told me that they are stiff but they do make noise so much. What is your opinion?
AO Silver Member

County: Devon
Polyurethane bushes are a popular option on the 147 for the upper wishbone, anti-roll bars (front and back), and most (if not all) of the bushes at the rear.

Most popular over here are the Purple Powerflex option, but there are many others (Strong Flex etc.) available. Polybushes are often a bit harder, but to be honest it's not a determent to the ride in my experience. You could try and seek softer polybushes if you wanted (e.g. for Strongflex: Red = SHA 80, Yellow=SHA 90).

I have a set of Purple Powerflex bushes fitted to my upper wishbones - whilst they were a little harder, the ride certainly isn't appreciably rougher at all. Mine do squeak quite a lot at the moment, but that can usually be prevented by a liberal application of the correct grease at installation.

Lower wishbones tend not to get done on the 147/156/GT simply because they do not wear out as quickly - and by the time they do wear out, the balljoint is often worse for wear anyway.. Makes sense at that point to replace the entire arm rather than try and re-bush it for the balljoint to fail shortly afterwards.

AO Member

County: West Midlands
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by yondaime View Post
I did not want to create new topic, so wanted to ask it from here.

Having an alfa romeo 147 2009 model year 1.9 jtd q2 which is tuned with big turbo and other stuffs. Problem is suspension components as upper and lower arms wear much then normal. So I would like to do something else about it.

Those polyurethan bushes like strongflex are making me attracted at. Are they good? Reliable? Did anyone use?

I would like to buy them but local mechanic told me that they are stiff but they do make noise so much. What is your opinion?
I've got powerflex black series bushes fitted all around on my 156, less the front lower arm, and there's no noise from anywhere but the front ARB bushes which seem to lose all the packing grease within a few weeks. The car feels a lot tighter than it did previously but it was pretty tired before hand, however the upper front control arm hushes have lasted almost two years and are still in great condition whereas previously the upper arms from the same manufacturer, TRW, were getting noisy by this time.
I would point out however that I paid almost 600 for the complete set of bushes and it took a couple of days to fit them all so it wasn't a cheap option although given how I drive the car I still feel it was worthwhile for me. I also haven't noticed a reduction in ride quality or NVH, if anything it feels better than ever, but I'd suggest that that's an entirely subjective feeling so should be taken as such. The only way I could really try to explain it is that the leather seats are noisier than any of the suspension components when the ARB bushes are freshly greased.
Unless they're already noisy and you're happy or at least prepared to go back in and refresh the grease in the poly ARB bushes then I'd avoid changing them and stick with rubber, quieter and a lot less hassle in my experience. If they do need hanging then maybe just replace for OEM rubber as they can get tedious and I never really felt a difference when they were first fitted (they were fitted about a month before the rest of the bushes) between the old worn rubber and the poly bush.

Hope that helps,

Paul.
AO Member

County: Dorset
In my experience ball joints outlast the bushes on both uppers and lowers (original Alfa). So replace your upper wishbone bushes with powerflex (or strongflex even cheaper).

Someone on here has recently Powerflexed their lowers, I was looking at doing this but warned against it as they work their way out. I would just go for TRW lowers and if your upper ball joints are intact then poly bush them.

I recently fitted TRW OEM droplinks 15 each, as others have said meyle hd are the best.
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
My GTA had powerflex and strongflex bushes on every single bush so no rubber anywhere. Personally i did quite like it as it is a fun car, but i recently had a suspension arm failure where the lower arm pulled off the subframe. i have now fitted original lower arms without any PU bushes and yes there is a noticeable difference in feel but there is not alot in it. everything else is still pu.

for the hassle i just do not think it is worth pu bushing the lower arm. it is a proper arse ache.

i also would never pu bush an old arm e.g. lower or upper if it had old ball joint. just buy new parts an pu bush them. otherwise you be doing the job again.

pu bushes can last forever, however they do miss-shape and get loose. but don't degrade as such. but can cause knocking if they miss-shape.

btw strongflex kit for pu bushing the lower arm where the strut fork fixes is quite cool and cheap. but actually only looks good and doesn't seem to do much for any feel. if anything it just sends the shock up through car.

pu bushes on arb will loose grease quickly because of their design and where they are. but i have never had a single pu bush squeak

Running Spec: 2003 156 GTA Rosso 330's, Drilled/grooved discs, AL Lrg Mocal Cooler, Fully Polybushed F&R, Powerflex/Strongflex, AL Blk Silicone induction hose, K&N replacement filter, Scorpion exhaust. Eibach arb's, Red Silicone coolant hoses & induction pipes, Meyle droplinks, CF2, Wizard pipes, Weichers strut brace, Quaife

2002 156 Sportwagon 2.4JTD
AO Member

County: TURKEY
I'm confused now. Forgive me if I got it wrong. But you all saying that applying pu bushes are not useful enough. But the ones for upper ones are better for this job. Is it right?

What about arb ones? Most people talk me that it will squeak or sound bad if it's pu'ed?

Eibach arb ones are off the chart for now. I'm thinking it to be doing with shock absorber or coilover upgrade. I was thinking to change them with b8s or koni ones. But I'm again not sure if it will be so hard to drive.

Trying to decide it but for a year I did not get an answer to it.

What's the most comforting and sportive solution to suspension?

Pu'ed upper arms + meyle hd front and rear stabilizers + yellow koni and b8 option for shock absorber to eibach prokitted springs. And how hard it will be for daily drive?
AO Silver Member

County: Dumfries and Galloway
Garage
pu bushes do give a much better more responsive feel in the car for sure.
but me personally i don't think it is worth the pain to pu bush the front lower arms. pu bush everything else.
pu bushes on arb's is a good idea. eibach arb's are really great as they help control the body that bit more in hard cornering.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
bushes , powerflex or pollybush , suspension , trw , wishbones