156 TSpark 1.8 gearbox noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 12-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 sportwagon

156 TSpark 1.8 gearbox noise

Hello all
Can anyone help? My alfa has developed a noisy gearbox or maybe noisy diff, not sure which. My first thought is to drop the oil and see if there is any debris in there. I have never been underneath my alfa so don't know where the gearbox drain plug or the filler plug are located. Can anyone tell me where both of these plugs are, also what grade of oil should I refill the gearbox with and agree or disagree with adding a bottle of 'Slick50' transmission treatment/additive. I hope someone can help, and hope to return the favour one day.
Ta for now
Beats watching big brother
Sponsored Links
AO Member
Re: 156 TSpark 1.8 gearbox noise

Hi Jaysam,

Thought id tag onto your thread because my alfas got the same problem i think, On mine you can hear a whirring noise in first and very slightly in second, doesnt jump out of gear or hard to select any gears, Anyone any ideas. Im looking to sell my beloved sportwagon so want to get it fixed before i pass her on, any one interested drop me a mail.
County: Wiltshire
Re: 156 TSpark 1.8 gearbox noise

the drain plug is between the gearbox and subframe on the left hand side, awkward to get on but obvious as it has the hex hole in it to loosen it, you should expect 1.5 litres from there, as the diff keeps 0.5l, also check that plug for debris, it's magnetic so you get the fir tree on it, but there is a mag pad inside the box too hich you can only get to on a full strip and that normally catches the big stuff. To fill it the hex plug is next to the reverse light swith on the front, if the box is completely empty then you'll get 2l os 75.90 GL5 spec oil into there and that should quieten things up.

BUT before you do all that, inspect the clutch to ensure it's dry and remove the 2 8mm bolts from the flywheel dirt guard and make sure there's no fluid in there. If the bell housing is wet then the box will need to come off to check the mainshaft bearing and seal.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , gearbox , noise , tspark