Tyre rotaion and alignment - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 12-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

Tyre rotaion and alignment

how often should one rotate tyres and align the wheels? i heard some don't even rotate tyres as every rotation should be followed by aligning the wheels.
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
Re: Tyre rotaion and alignment

Rotating the tyres does not change the alignment.

Personally I move tyres front-rear when the fronts are almost half worn. All four tyres then reach the limit at the same time and are replaced together as a matched set.

I'm not a fan of rotation as you end up needing all four tyres at once eventually!

What you should do, apparently, when replacing a pair is put them on the rear and the old rears on the front.

AO Car Of The Year Winner 2015
Membro Premio
County: Bratislavsky

You donít need to get wheels aligned every time you rotate the tyres. But you should have your wheels balanced from time to time; driving through potholes can hurt their balance a bit.

There are two usual attitudes to tyre rotation. You either swap front/rears every 5-10k km to get even tyre wear and than when they wear out you replace all 4 tyres. Second way is not to rotate tyres at all. When the fronts wear out, you move the rears to front and buy only 2 new tyres for the rear and so on.

Depends if you prefer to buy 2 tyres more often, or all 4 at once.

147GTA,Grigio Metallico,Imola leather, 3.75l conversion,F360 TB,ported heads,Balduzzi cams,GTV manifolds,EQ pipes,Supersprint silenced cat back,18" GT multispokes,KW V3,Galfer 6pot 355mm,Brembo sport rear, Blaupunk NewYork 800 + Focal

147 1.6TS, Nerro,Beige Interior,Galfer Extreme Brake kit,2,0TS intake manifold,Custom ex. manifold,200CPI cat,Supersprint silenced center + OO backbox,GTA spoiler,GTA side skirts,GTA headlights,Blaupunkt LA MP74 + Focal + MacAudio + Dynamat + HERZ subwoofer
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire

I've always been advised that modern front wheel drive cars wear their front and rear tyres very differently and as such you can seriously compromise the handling by swapping them front to back.
Plus you sould always make sure that the best tyres are fitted to the rear on a front wheel drive car and not the fornt.
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

It really depends on the car make/model as well these days.

Normally the fronts wear out faster as people have said, so when you get 2 new tyres, you should rotate them at that point and put the existing rears to the front and the new tyres at the rear.

This is because when braking, all the energy and weight goes to the front so the rear is lighter and has less grip. If the rears are worn and you have less tread and you are on wet roads, you'll have less grip and more chance of oversteer, hence you put new tyres with more tread on the rear for better grip/traction etc. I think that's right.

The only issue is that some makes/models have different sized front and rear tyres so you can't rotate them. ie the new Lexus IS250 has wider rears than fronts I believe.

Last edited by mojo_jojo; 12-06-07 at 08:50.
AO Member
County: Bayern

Member car:

159 1750 TBi

I also would like to mention the problem of tyre roar because of the "sawtooth-effect", which can happen if you swap already worn rear tyres to the front on a FWD car. But this problem depends very much on the shape of the tyre tread. "Fluent" designs like the Good Year Eagle F1 should not be so prone to this, but I had this effect once with Pirelli 5000 or 7000.
Since then I don't rotate tyres at all.
If you wanna rotate, then the more often you do it, the less prone you are to get that effect.

Alignment: As long as the steering is ok, the tyres wear evenly and you didn't hit anything, I wouldn't bother with checking the alignment.
AO Platinum Member

Originally Posted by wrinx View Post
I'm not a fan of rotation as you end up needing all four tyres at once eventually!
That is exactly why I do rotate them!
Four identical tyres, same age, same make & version.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alignment , rotaion , tyre