GT JTD Inner CV - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 15-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

'08 GT JTD Q2

I've been browsing the threads, and based on my own observations and discussions here on AO I have tracked my problem to the inner cv on the drivers side of a RH drive GT. the one connecting the intermediate (cardan) shaft to the outer (long) shaft.
I have noticed the noise early I think. I can't say that it is a vibration of significant proportions yet, more of a low grumble under acceleration in 5th and 6th and NOT when the car is still cold.
At closer inspection there is slight play in the joint, but of more concern to me is the fact that I found oil hanging from the engine near or under the crank pulley and oil stains all over the RH side of the under tray. The crank seal does not seem to be leaking but I found a lot of grease splattered in line with the large end of the rubber boot. It seems the oil I found is being "cooked" out of the grease where it lands on hot engine parts.
The rubber boot has no decernable tears or holes in it and the clamp shows no signs of damage or distress. The grease splatter is exactly in line with the edge of the boot. I found it on the sub-frame, under-body and worryingly the alternator.
Why would this happen? I believe this loss of lubrication to be the source of the problem.
Can the CV be saved?
My GT has 140000kms on the odo.
Maybe this something that should be checked at 100K or 120K with the cambelt /waterpump changes.
I'm going to give a shot at extending the life of the component by loosening the large clamp, taking out as much of the old grease as I can and refilling it with new clean lube.
Will give feedback later.

~~Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent~~

'08 GT Q2 JTDM. -~- '07 Fiat Panda Climbing
'12 Renault Megane dCi 1.6.
'04 Smart Roadster. -~- '82 Porsche 924 (on going project).
'05 Buell XB9XS CityX.

You can buy hp ... but you're going to drive ft.lbs.
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 1014
County: Dorset
Put some more grease in it and a fresh set of clamps. It may have been the mess made from a previous split boot that has since been repaired.
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 18-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Gauteng

Member car:

'08 GT JTD Q2

Had a look at the old clamp. I don't think it's a previous botch job 'cause the clamp looks the same as all the others on the car.

However, the old clamp was removed without damage to the boot. Very little grease found inside and not a familiar colour. The colour was a redish brown almost like it contained rust but could not find evidence of rust inside the joint after I cleaned it out as well as I could. Also found slight rotation play in the joint when twisted by hand.

Got new grease from my local CV repairman who ensured me it was the best quality he stocks. This was packed in (the more familiar dark grey type), boot inspected again, new clamp (pinch type) fitted and everything closed up.

Drove the car to work this morning (+- 70 kms) without hearing the grumble from before. Will give it a go again this afternoon when daytime temps are up as well (expected to be around 30deg C) but all looks good thus far.

If nothing else at least it gives me a warning and some time to put some money together for when it does let go.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT