Tempted by a Cloverleaf/Q2/Blackline but... - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 12 Old 11-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

Tempted by a Cloverleaf/Q2/Blackline but...

...do any of you with with one of the above (ie a car with 18" wheels from new) find the ride hard on poor road surfaces and that it possibly reduces the life of the already short-life suspension? I'm currently on 17" wheels, and have had one buckle once - although that was a really bad pot-hole on an unlit road. Generally I find the ride is fine, and when I was loaned an Autolusso spare car with 18" wheels recently, it wasn't as bad as I expected.
No doubt tyres are a bit more expensive.

I know this has been debated in the past and I've seen some threads where 16" is advocated, but I do rather like the extras on the special editions (when you can find one!)

I'd like a newer 07/08 GT now, but wondering whether to stick with the standard car

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Devon
I've got third party 18's on my Blackline (previous owners doing..), but yea I can find the ride a little rough/heavy some times.. Potholes are especially avoided! That being said, my previous car was a '98 VW Polo with tiny little 14-15" wheels, so it was a big difference.. Never driven the GT with the smaller wheels so can't directly compare myself...

That being said, you can do a lot to the suspension to help things out.. From what I've picked up lurking and following Ned about on these forums, there are plenty of aftermarket shocks/springs that can help carry the extra weight of the 18s and calm the ride down a bit.. Combine that with an upgraded ARB and polybushes where appropriate and you can have a very precise handling car with a perfectly sensible ride!

My plan is to gradually replace the OEM parts with the uprated/aftermarket as they wear out (which they will...)...

I love the look of the GT with 18s on... Those big 'ol wheel arches need filling with something substantial! Although with a big open alloy like mine it does serve to make the 284 discs on the front look a little undersized for the car... So that leads to the 305 upgrade, then you might as well get the Quaife differential and a meaty remap now that you have the suspension and brakes uprated
AO Member
County: Western Isles

Member car:

Alfa Red GT Q2

I have the standard 18" wheels on the GT in the summer and a set of 147 Q2 17" wheels with winter tyres for the winter months. The difference in ride quality is only slight.
AO Member
County: Essex

Member car:

GT Cloverleaf SE

No problems with my GT on standard 18" alloys
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT 3.2

I went from 17s to 18s on my GT, and the difference wasn't that noticeable actually. (In other words, the ride is still pretty crap)... need to upgrade the suspension soon.
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

I found that changing the tyres improved the ride on mine a little - changed from P-Zeros to Goodyear F1 Asymmetric 2's. But the ride is still pretty harsh. One day I will look at upgrading the shock and springs, but a Q2/Quaife will probably come first....
AO Member
County: Lincolnshire
The GT on 18" wheels does have an overfirm ride, I also tend to avoid potholes and sunken manhole covers.

I need to change tyres soon so will see if another brand make any difference (currently on Pirellis ).
The consolation for the hard ride seems to be the excellent roadholding, for a FWD machine it really gives you confidence to push in the corners and relishes being driven enthusiastically.

take an extended test drive of one on the 18s then decide if you can accept the ride quality or look into upgrades?
AO Gold Member
County: Lincolnshire
The ride is poor.

My dad has a VW, 18s and run flats, firm ride but it still feels solid even at 150k. Friends BMW still feels solid at 140k - the Alfa does have poor quality parts.......but you know what, driving the VW and the Beemer is boring as!

New wishbones do make a difference tho.

The 18s look ace, just be careful. I dont drive my Alfa in Leicester where I work becUse the road a aweful.
(Post Link) post #9 of 12 Old 11-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Norfolk

Member car:

Alfa GT 1.9 JTD

Thanks all, well I'm in Sheffield today and the roads here are notoriously awful. I really am thinking I'm better sticking with 17" wheels, but it's getting difficult to find many 07/08 cars that aren't on 18" wheels now, as most are cloverleaf/q2/blacklines.

Maybe I'll drive mine into the ground and consider a TT tdi quattro, when I can afford one?
Will it be boring in comparison?
AO Member
County: Devon
The 18" wheels don't give a hard ride on tyres with soft sidewalls - Goodyear F1 Asymmetrico 2s are highy recommended. The pay off is that the handing, steering wheel feel and grip levels are better. They also look fantastic IMHO. There is more road noise though. I think the standard spoked alloys are very ordinary and don't do the GT's beautiful shape justice.

I have standard suspension and no Q2 diff and I find it handles and rides perfectly well.
Club Member
Membro Premio

Member car:

GT.Clover 170 Q2

I fitted some 16 inch multispokes off my old 2004 Gt to my cloverleaf while her wheels were being refurbed last summer, and they rode no better than my 18's??

As the lads have mentioned tyre choice makes a difference. Michelin and continental are more comfortable.

Also i have gone with 235/40/18 Pirelli's and will be fitting them tomorrow. Which should give a much better ride quality than the oem 225/40/18's.

Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Bedfordshire
OK Yes I understand the question now

We have sold 350-400 ish of these diff to standard spec should be fine.

onversion around the world

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT