147 manifold heat sheild - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 06-06-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
147 manifold heat sheild

what is the definitive answer on this, i cant be arsed with a shelid that is gonna repeatedly break due to its flimsy design. so i have come up with a few options some of which i have already kind of ruled out.

1.replace the sheild and claim on my warranty direct warranty, itll break again but im going travelling in a year so ill be selling the car anyway.

2. make my own sturdy one out of 1mm tin sheet metal (take off old one plug gaps fill with plaster and make a mould then shape teh tin over teh mould and hey presto ive made my own one) but wont be very warranty friendly if something happens.

3. heat wrap which ive already ruled out really as i dont want a cracked manifold from trapped heat.

4. take it off and forget about it - will mean that alot of heat is in teh engine bay and may damage something else along with reduced performance.

any ideas from the alfa oracle?

2.0 TS, custom hand stitched leather and alacantra interior, custom SS system, H+R suspension upgrade
Sponsored Links
Peter K
Re: 147 manifold heat sheild

which shield ? the one at the exhaust manifold or the one under the engine at the exhaust pipe?

The manifold one is not mandatory.. I drove for years without one due to the fact i had the Supersprint Manifold on.

The exhaust one is nice to have if you park on grass or anything flammable, but again not mechanically mandatory. ( I think)
AO Platinum Member

There will be a lot more hear from his 147 though because it also covers the Cats in the manifold.
It is best to keep those covered.
AO Gold Member

Its a kind of multi layered gadget, I dont know that a single skin would have the same effect.

If you could make 2 from sheet with say a 4mm gap between them, that might be effective.

I dont think your warranty will cover the part as you have to lose a level of functionality to claim on a warranty.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , heat , manifold , sheild