Pumping the clutch Alfa GT - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 02-02-15 Thread Starter
County: Wexford

Member car:

Alfa Romeo GT

Pumping the clutch Alfa GT

Hi folks, I have a 2008 Alfa GT 1.9 diesel.
About 4 months ago I got the clutch and flywheel replaced.
For the past 3 months I keep having to pump the clutch to get it going. In the mornings or anytime its been left for a few hours the clutch is loose, as in it falls to the floor.
While driving long journeys it works fine as long as I keep my foot balanced on it so it doesn't rise up all the way.
Is this the cylinder or the clip thing as whats on other forums? There is an external cylinder in the footwell.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Western Cape
sounds like the master cylinder has popped(at the back of the pedal), the master has 2 seals one to pump the fluid and the other to stop the fluid from messing in your foot well when the first one popped, so u are now on the safety seal have it replaced and have them look at the slave to c if any fluid is leaking and while they have the battery out make sure the rubber pipe from the slave to the body is not leaking that should do it
if you have to replace the slave buy a Fiat uno 1.4 turbo slave same thing more than half the price
had same problems but now sorted
AO Gold Member
County: Greater Manchester

Member car:

159 2.4 JTDm

Not sure if it is relevant. Although recently having got or had several cars with hydraulic clutches, I have never worked on one (hydraulic clutch) but the brakes on my GT were getting worse. As it is in for a cambelt service tomorrow I tried to push it until then but last week the brakes almost died.
I just dropped the car off at a local garage, no time to fix it myself anyway. Garage owner told me as soon as he got in the car he could not check it because the clutch pedal was on the floor. I had noticed from time to time over the last month that selecting second gear when cold was difficult. It turns out my brake problem (I was loosing fluid and very spongy brakes) was the clutch slave cylinder.
Only been three days since I picked it up but all seems good.

Priorities I find, are usually someone else's.
Statements above are all my own opinion and not fact.
AO Member
County: Western Australia
I had the same thing with mine twice, first time master cyl second was the slave cyl. In hindsight I should have done both at the same time as I had the clutch replaced
AO Member
County: Lancashire

Member car:

GT 3.2

This is happening to mine, although not as bad. It just needs a few pumps in the morning, and then it's fine. So it would be wise to do both master and slave?
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Alfa GT Jtdm

I'd run your hands around the master cylinder in the footwell, if there's no leakage then its probably the slave, which is harder to check (battery out).

Most times its the slave that gives up.
Identity Confirmed
Authorised Trader
County: Bedfordshire
Sounds like slave cylinder, make sure you fit the right one as a lot of after market ones listed don't work properly, you need the original with part number ending 408

On our shop

Slave Cylinder 147 GTA/147 1.9 & GT CF3 1.9 - Autolusso New Alfa Romeo Parts

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , clutch , pumping