156 Heater/blower not working - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    

(Post Link) post #1 of 26 Old 30-05-07 Thread Starter

County: Wiltshire
Not Happy 156 Heater/blower not working

Can anybody help me please
My blower has suddenly packed up about a week ago for no reason.When i turn the dial theres is no response at all so i i have checked the fuses and any loose wires but to no avail.Then suddenly yesterday the blower came on with the dial in auto postion.I turned the dial from 1-4 and it was ok but after turning it to 0 it wouldn't come on again.Also the outside temp reads -6 but went back to normal temp when the blower was working.Any suggestions would be very grateful.Could it be a us relay?Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

AO Member

County: Kanton Sarajevo
Re: 156 Heater/blower not working

Probably resistor, I have the same problem and waiting replacement part to arrive.
ePer part number is 60779299.

BTW, our local Alfa dealer want ~100 EUR for replacement part, and in ePer that price is ~35 EUR :-(
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTS Veloce

Might be the heater control panel - get it checked by a dealer. If it is expect a £420 bill approx.

(Post Link) post #4 of 26 Old 31-05-07 Thread Starter

County: Wiltshire

Holy moly i hope not.Theres a good independant alfa garage by me i think i will get him to check it out as it seems it could be a number of things gone. cheers
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolty62 View Post
the outside temp reads -6 but went back to normal temp when the blower was working.
wow i knew i'd find a thread saying exactly that if i searched enough. my problem is exactly the same, the digital thermometer started reading very low at exactly the same time that the blower stopped working. i had -18 degrees at one point when it wasnt even freezing.

i assume that indicates a fault with the control thermistor, and its giving a lower reading than the true temperature?
jug
AO Silver Member

County: Durham

it turns out that it was the blower speed control resistor unit, positioned just in front of the blower motor. £5 scrapyard part and its sorted.
AO Member

County: Norfolk-
Alfa 156 sportwagon heater fan

Hello, I am new here so if I am repeating something someone has already brought up please forgive me. I have recently bought a 156 sportwagon and have no reaction from the heater fan at all. There have been various people saying check the fuses, inside and out. The fuses mentioned is in the engine bay at the battery positive connection. Can someone tell me what these fuses are and if they should all be there. I ask because inside the little box there is a 40A fuse at the end that only seems to have a connection on one side ,and there is a gap that has a connection both sides but no fuse. I believe it is for a 70A because it is brown where the fuse goes.
Another person mentioned a fuse to the right of the steering wheel, can anyone tell me which one is which.
Sorry for being so longwinded but I fell in love with the Alfa the minute I sat in it and I really want to get it right.
Best regards, Alan
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
did you check the manual re fuses ?
http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Mode...part_number=#1
AO Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwq View Post
did you check the manual re fuses ?
http://aftersales.fiat.com/elum/Mode...part_number=#1
Hi, I have not got a manual and when I follow the link in your rely, thank you, it only goes to 2004 and mine is a 2001. I have been fiddling and with my head in the footwell I can hear a click from the resistor when I move the blower control but there is no movement from the motor itself.
Best regards, Alan
jwq
Club Member
Membro Premio

Club Member Number: 857
County: Zuid Holland
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjobber23 View Post
Hi, I have not got a manual and when I follow the link in your rely, thank you, it only goes to 2004 and mine is a 2001. ....
I seriously doubt there's actually much difference between 2001 & 2004 .......
AO Silver Member

County: -
2001 to 2004 might be very similar but the HVAC system did go to dual zone climate with the interior facelift in 2002.

To check the heater fan itself is very easy they're up under the dash in the passenger footwell (for RHD anyway). One screw and the blower will drop out.
AO Member

Hello, thank you for your assistance. I have changed the motor and the resistor with no luck. The light on the control knob lights up when you press it but that is it. Am I being a complete idiot and pressing something I shouldn't or not pressing something I should. Turn the car on and turn the knob for speed selection, is that right or should I be doing something else as well.
I am at a complete loss. I have replaced all the fuses in the fusebox with no effect. I have removed , cleaned and replaced the fuses at the battery. I don't know if the ones at the battery were necessary but I did it for good measure. Is there anything I have missed.
Thank you in advance.
Best regards, Alan
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Alan, I have a 2001 manual so I can see if I can post the fusebox layout if that's any help. I can't remember where the blower fuse is without looking. If you've replaced fuses etc and the blower that suggests a wiring fault maybe.
There is an automatic operation option for the climate control on 156s; not sure if it's all of them though.
What does the outside temp say?
AO Member

County: Cambridgeshire
Oh, and the only indicator lights on the panel are for aircon (on the far left) and reciculation (in the middle). I don't see how pressing one of those would cause a problem.
AO Member

Thank you that is very much appreciated. I have replaced the motor the resistor and the control panel all to no avail so any help of any kind is great.
Thanks, Alan
AO Member

Hi, just thought I would ask if anyone can tell me which fuse is the one for the blower motor and where the fuse is. I ask because a diagram I looked at said it was a 40a fuse and I am not sure if it is one of the ones under the bonnet or somewhere else. Also does the blower motor have a relay anywhere?
Best regards, Alan
AO Gold Member

County: Buckinghamshire
Garage
There are some fuses up behind the glovebox .. what's the betting the heater blower one is up there ... hidden away and impossible to get to ...

I don't think the fan has a relay ..
Club Member
Membro Medio

County: Aalborg
Garage
Quote:
Hi, just thought I would ask if anyone can tell me which fuse is the one for the blower motor and where the fuse is. I ask because a diagram I looked at said it was a 40a fuse and I am not sure if it is one of the ones under the bonnet or somewhere else. Also does the blower motor have a relay anywhere?
The fan motor is connected directly to the battery through a 40A fuse.
I don't know the location of the fuse.

The ground side of the fan motor is connected to the speed variator.

Have a lokk in this post: http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...l#post15219465 (Help with my 156 Sportwagon PLEEEEEASE)
AO Member

I would like to thank everyone who has been kind enough to give their time and experience in the problem. The problem is now not a problem anymore I have sorted it out which I couldn't have done without you all. THANK YOU, Alan
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
I would like to thank everyone who has been kind enough to give their time and experience in the problem. The problem is now not a problem anymore I have sorted it out which I couldn't have done without you all. THANK YOU, Alan
And the issue was caused by?
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

I'm also having problems with the fan which suddenly stopped working. The fan itself is working, I even changed the AC panel with a spare but still nothing. I do get a reading of 11.5V with a multimeter but the fan won't run which is weird...
I see the speed variator being mentioned but can anyone tell how the thing looks like? It would be helpful to know what to look for when I remove the fan again...
AO Member

Member car:

AR GT 3.2V6

I replaced the resistor and it finally works!
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji View Post
I replaced the resistor and it finally works!
What you call restor is actually the electronic speed variator.
It sits in the ground path of the fan motor and vary the current through the fan motor by a PWM (Pulse Width Modulation) signal from the clima control unit.
(Post Link) post #24 of 26 Old 2 Weeks Ago
mekcaff

Please help me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binji View Post
I'm also having problems with the fan which suddenly stopped working. The fan itself is working, I even changed the AC panel with a spare but still nothing. I do get a reading of 11.5V with a multimeter but the fan won't run which is weird...
I see the speed variator being mentioned but can anyone tell how the thing looks like? It would be helpful to know what to look for when I remove the fan again...
I would love to know how to sort this problem. Is it simple or is it a complex and expensive fix. My heater fan doesn't work. I have replaced the Fan motor, the resistor, the control panel and checked all the fuses. Is there something else that anyone can suggest that I can do?

(Post Link) post #25 of 26 Old 2 Weeks Ago
Club Member
Membro Medio

Garage
If you follow the link I added in post18 then you can see a wiring diagram
To debug you need a voltmeter and measure voltages in the curcuit
  1. Measure the voltage at the motor N85 (Pin A). If you measure 12V here the wiring from battery is ok. If you don't measure any voltage the wiring towards the battery is broken.
  2. Measure the voltage at the motor N85 (Pin B). If you measure 12 V here the motor don't get any ground connection through the speed regulator M72. If you measure 0V the motor is broken.
  3. Measure the voltage at the speed regulator (Pin A). If you measure 12 V here the motor don't get any ground connection through the speed regulator M72. If you measure 0V and measured 12 V at Pin B on the motor the wire is broken.
  4. Measure the voltage at the speed regulator Pin B. If you measure anything here above approx. 0.5V the wire or ground connection is broken.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

Tags
156 , heater or blower , working

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page