Sad day has come BUT i need advice please gents! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 25-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Kent
Sad day has come BUT i need advice please gents!

Hiya I have a 2001 147 2 litre selespeed. Lately when the engine gets up to temperature the gearbox decides to miss third and forth gear and hesitate into fifth although not every time, just most. I have decided it is time to part ways with it as I need something abit more family and petrol friendly

I was wondering if this a common issue and had an easy fix or it is time for the scrap yard? If not easily and cheaply fixable what would you expect it to go for? There is also both airbag lights showing on the dash from when the passenger seat was removed.

Hope posting this hear hasn't offended anyone.

Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Greater London
Could be gearbox - this happened to me - 1000

Or possibly gear select actuator - Also 1000 as I recall

(Post Link) post #3 of 7 Old 25-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Kent
hmmmm doesn't look overly great either way then haha!! today it "CRUNCHED" into reverse to. thought the gearbox was going to drop out the bottom ha.
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire
Easy stuff first. Have you checked there is some oil in the gearbox? When was the oil last changed?
AO Silver Member
County: Nottinghamshire
There'll be nothing wrong with the gearbox, it sounds like an actuator problem (although I'm no Selespeed expert). Get someone who knows about them to have a look at it. It might only need calibration.
AO Member
County: Falkirk

Member car:

If you don't fix it then its a 200-250 car with the box not working. If you are going to keep it/get another alfa then get a set kkl or elm327 cable with alfa adapters for abs/airbag and download either the free version of MultiEciuScan or Alfadiag. They will at least let you start checking for issues and check the clutch rod length. You can even reset your airbag lights !

As said start with the easy stuff. If by any chance the gear selector is flashing on the display when the gears fail to select then the rear sensor on the selespeed actuator may be playing up. Fiddly to change but easier if you have the battery tray out to adjust the clutch rod length.

There are actually 3 of the sensors on the actuator and they are PF2C sensors same as a 106/saxo throttle position sensor. As ever a second hand one would be a bit of a gamble but
AO Member
County: Hertfordshire
Morning Gents,

I just wanted to say thank you for the download it has worked for me at ten minutes ago.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , day , gents , sad