Alfa 156 VDC failure won't start - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 24-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
Alfa 156 VDC failure won't start

Hi Guys,

This is a thread to provide you guys with a bit of info, and also a little bit of help in return.

Right, basically, tonight I was driving my baby (156 SW Ti), after not having it on the road for about 5 months, I got a little excited, heavy right foot and hard braking etc, you know how it is. Anyway, pulled into the petrol station and filled her up. Come back out and I got VDC failure and a solid Immobiliser light on the dash.

Getting all angry as there were a few german cars that pulled in and pulled out I acted as though everything was fine. When they were gone I quickly got her out the way to get to work on her. Luckily I stumbled across a thread on here about the relays at the front of the battery.

In my haste to get her up and running, on an inspection of the relays I soon realised that I'd been a complete t*at and not secured the battery in place after removal, which on heavy braking sent it forward into the relay carrier etc. After unplugging the relays and then plugging them back in, she started so i was mr happy again. If anyone has the miss fortune of having a random VDC failure and or Immob light, DO NOT write of the idea of the relay, just make sure you check all the wiring too, It could save you a small fortune. Cause you may have bought a car from a donut like me that didn't strap his battery down.

Right now the help in return, after going over the car with a fine toothed comb when I got back, the relays seem to be a bit corroded on the forks/spades that go into the connectors. Is it worth giving all of them a good clean? If so whats the best way to do this? I've had cold starting issues recently, as in she turns over but doesn't start till 2-3 turns of the key, not sure if this is a problem related to dirty contacts

Any help is massively appreciated, plus Its gives me a chance to sack off the list of chores the mrs has produced and work on the car

Many Thanks Guys!
Sponsored Links
(Post Link) post #2 of 3 Old 24-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -
by the way, Its a JTS as well. Yes I know, Marmite engine.
AO Gold Member
Can't really do any harm to clean them - a little light emery, maybe, and a spray with some electrical contact cleaner. Be gentle with the relay mounting block, though, and be aware that the wiring into the blocks can be problematic, too.....

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , alfa , failure , start , vdc