Help or advice needed - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Surrey
Help or advice needed

I have a leak coming from the gear box area, the dashboard light came on thought it was the selespeed hydraulic system leaking but i'm now not so sure but filled it up to be safe. this morning the level is the same (at the max). It wont go into reverse when in MAS but will go thro gears 1-5 ( and will go into 1-5 when car running but still no reverse). I have a second alfa with the same engine and sele gearbox ect. should i swap the whole lot gearbox and robot or just change the robot bit? I have limited time and and tools. (i,ve uploaded some pics of the leak but not sure whats happened to them)?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
Hi Rew,

I'd be tempted to get rid and get a manual..I know thats not what you want to hear and not particularly helpful but it would seem with the selespeed it's not a case of it it goes wrong,but when and how badly..

now to your issue..I don't know a huge amount about the selespeed so can only offer logic as the basis for my opinion..having filled the fluid and having it remain where it is is not definitive that the actual gearbox is at fault rather than the selespeed but would point in that direction..

if you have a entire spare unit and are handy with the spanners I would just do it and try to trace the problem once the unit is out of the car..

more work for sure but if you have a garage to work in and a mate to help with the removal of the gearbox then that would be my route.

I had a similar problem recently with a timing chain issue and rough running..had a spare engine so went the route of taking the whole engine out and replacing it with the spare, it perhaps didn't need it but took the view that it might be quicker than the diagnosis and consequent sequence of jobs that would be a pig with the engine in situ..

turned out to be the right thing to do as not only was the timing out but 3 of the hydraulic cam followers were not working properly and the the valves were not fully closing..

result was a cylinder head terms of hours vs fitting an engine it was about the same with a much better and guaranteed result.

I cna now fix the other engine at my convenience or use it as a doner for future repairs ..

hopew this helps.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

advice , needed