147 JTDm Idle problem - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-01-15 Thread Starter
County: -
147 JTDm Idle problem

I have recently replaced the turbo on my 147 (1.9 JTDm on 05 plate) after it failed. The turbo change was not too traumatic, and the car seems to be running generally fine now, but there is a problem with the idle that was not there before I changed the turbo.

The idle appears to be hunting, every three seconds or so, the revs will drop down as if the engine is about to stall, but then it recovers again. I have tried to carry out the ECU reset as described in the thread in this forum, but that has not fixed it. However when doing the ECU reset, I noticed that after about 5 minutes the idle got really bad, but then it suddenly sorted itself out. however, the next time I started the car, the idle was back to hunting again.

During the turbo replacement, I disconnected the Injectors to do a dry crank of the engine to prime the turbo. is it possible that this may have somehow 'confused' the ECU?
I am tempted to try the ECU reset again this weekend, but was mondering if any experts may have some suggestions of what could be the cause.

Many thanks
Sponsored Links
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria
Any fault codes or engine lights?
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-01-15 Thread Starter
County: -
No engine lights. I plan to check for fault codes at the weekend using a bluetooth OBD reader.

Something I forgot to mention in my original post, was that when I first started the car after the injectors had been reconnected, I had an error come up, something to do with a motor control fault I think. This was rectified by re-seating the electrical connectors to the injectors.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
push home in the 3rd injector conector from left and hold it in with engine running........see it if runs smoother.....that socket does wear.......mine is ziptied home nice and tight

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

147 , idle , jtdm , problem