What would cause this? Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 18-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
What would cause this? Alfa GT 1.9 JTDm

I recently changed my 16" stock wheels on the Alfa GT to 17" stock multispokes. Tyres on the new wheels look fine - although because I bought them in two goes from different sellers there are two makes of tyres.

All well and good, but now I am getting a soft 'chirping' ( could be described as a muted 'tick tick tick tick ....' ) from the drivers front wheel. This happens in a specific way. If I am accelerating ( gently or strongly ) all is fine. The moment I
take my foot off the pedal ( not literally off but stop ' applying ' the accelerator ) the noise begins .

Quite soft and subtle, but definitely there. If I put it into neutral and 'coast' the sound is still there, but quieter then before.

I've raised the front to see if there is any play in the wheel ( bearings? ) - and theres none. Also took the wheel off to inspect, and nothing seemed wrong on the wheel / tyre / driveshaft / brakes.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
any increase in wheel size will amplify road feedback and put the front suspension and steering rack under more pressure/stress..

TBH it could be anything and without hearing it I couldn't tell you but I don't beleive in coincidences!

maybe the new wheels have highlighted an underlying weakness or bushes/sruts that were on the way out..

Last edited by joeymannero; 18-01-15 at 11:12. Reason: grammar.
AO Member
County: -
Are the tyres new? If not check the tread by running your hand aong the edge of the wheel/tread and check for any uneveness or 'stepping'. If the problem was not there before you changed the wheel/tyre combination then itis likely to be an issue with either the wheel or tyre. Of course it may have been there before the wheel change and you are only noticing it now. You could swap wheels front to back on that side to see if the situation changes. Good luck with it.
AO Silver Member
County: -
Most of the time that sort of noise is caused by a nail/screw in the tire.
AO Rosso Alfa Member
County: Northamptonshire
Originally Posted by sprint_veloce View Post
Most of the time that sort of noise is caused by a nail/screw in the tire.
Or a stone stuck behind the disc protector.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

alfa , jtdm