Service Light Reset Procedure 156 ONLY - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 7 Old 17-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Thumbs Up Service Light Reset Procedure 156 ONLY

Get rid of the 'nag screen' as follows...

When the 'Service interval date has passed - go to Dealer' or some such message accompanied by a graphic of a spanner, appears on the centre display it will pop up on every start after that. Annoying especially if you are offering the car for sale. If you do your own servicing for example it makes the car look unloved.

There are many helpful pieces of advice in this forum - from the extreme of taking the car to a dealer (£60 to reset the light) to just jiggling about with the + info - buttons, to plugging in a laptop with the fiatescan software. You may hit a success straight off the bat...

However, from what I can gather, on the 156 ONLY (not 147 or GT), there are two methods that work, depending on whether you have the (very) late 040506 facelift (final facelift) or not.
Pre facelift, the jiggling buttons generally works. This is simple - key on MAR, info centre button until you come to 'service', hold down + and - 10 secs or more until reset screen confirms mileage reset to 200000km or equivalent miles.
On the facelift (at least on my facelift) this just would NOT work, despite all the wrinkles suggested on this forum e.g. sidelights on/off, etc.

The one that works for me is this. Go thru' the info centre until you come to 'language'. Change to Italiano, this will also (crucially) reset the mileometer to Km. Now, all you have to do is repeat all the steps to 'service' and hold down + and - and after a short delay the display will flash, confirming the reset to 20000Km. Key off, then key on, go thru info to language, reset it to English and all is good for another year with no 'nag screen'.

Only 33 1.8 TS Veloces left, and counting...
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Well Happy

I have a 2002 facelift (original exterior, and facelifted interior). Your "pre-facelift" method works with my car i.e. Key in "MAR", go to the Service page on the infocentre, press and hold down the + and - keys simultaneously .. and it magically resets the counter
County: Highlands
I've fitted the later 2004 onwards infocentre in my 2003 SW (I use the A9 Inverness to Perth road a lot so being able to monitor my average speed is essential) and I'm happy to mention that the "Italiano" method works fine.
It works when the miles are converted to km.

If you switch the unit of distance to km in the menu and press the + and - buttons it resets.

Also, disconnecting the battery resets the service time too.

Mines a 2003 GTA to facelift interior.
AO Member
County: Norfolk
Reset the service reminder yesterday on my 2004 156 SW 2.4 JTDm.

Nice one Jim.

County: Pest

Member car:

Hi Jim,

Unfortunately I can't reset my infocentre, because my infocentre always wants to set the automatic screen lighting adjustment.
(Post Link) post #7 of 7 Old 15-02-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Essex
Bad situation there, Mikey.

My instinct would be to disconect the battery and reconnect after a few minutes - if your trip computer software is not totalled, it should initialise itself with factory preset settings.
If it doesn't, I'm afriad it sounds like the end of the road for your display - however, looking on the bright side, at least you don't have to worry about the service interval 'nag screen'.
(If you take this route, be sure to have your radio code to hand, as you will need to enter this when the battery is reconnected).

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , light , procedure , reset , service