Air conditioning still poor after recharge - Page 2 - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA

Re: Air conditioning still poor after recharge

update on mine, had the battery disconnected yesterday and when I connected today my aircon was freezing cold and the vents worked great

must have needed to reset the climate or some nonsense but it done the job.
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

156 JTD 20v

Originally Posted by buster View Post
Hi, i'm an Air Conditioning design engineer, insulating your lines will make no difference to system performance. Lines are lagged to stop them from condensing on typical building installations. On a car A.C system condensation obviously isn't an issue so ain't ever needed. I have a 156 and just topped up the R134a refrigerant myself and basically the system is still naff. I'm afraid it's poorly designed and the fan is ridiculously noisy so you're stuck with what you've got mate!!

Is there anything which can be done to make it better or even slightly better
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA SW

Was told by my Alfa mechanic that the there is a motorised flap that controls the heater vent in the system. Basically the AC routes by this flap, and when you need heat, it opens up and mixes in. The 156 system is split 2 ways, with the right side snaking round the heater flap. Every time you start your car, this flap opens and closes in a calibration sequence. Over time, it starts to wear out and the flap does not close properly, thus leaking hot air into the system. He showed me this by sticking a temp probe into both the left and right vents of the centre console. At max cooling, the left vent showed 10C, whilst the right vent showed 20C! This is indicative of a failed motor flap and is quite is apparently quite common. Unfortunately he told me he has attemped to replace the faulty motors before, only to have them fail within a few months. The quick fix here (where we do not really need heating) is to cut the AC coolant hose that passes though the heater and U it so it bypasses it altogther. It will screw up the AUTO function of the climate control and you will have to set fan speed manually, but the result is a much colder aircon....
County: Bedfordshire

Member car:

Thumbs Up Re: Air conditioning still poor after recharge

My guess is there is a problem in pressure pipe so check out that and replace that and see the air conditioning
AO Silver Member
County: Carmarthenshire

Member car:

156 2.0TS

I had a 1998 one that had good A/C and did cool you down but this one I have now 1999, even after a recharge is useless.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

air , conditioning , poor , recharge