156 JTS 2.0 - Bad Engine Noise - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 13-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Queensland
Help 156 JTS 2.0 - Bad Engine Noise

Hi, I bought my 2004 156 JTS 2.0 Manual sedan about 2 years ago with 133000km on the clock.
In the first month I ran the car without oil for about 4 days (dry dipstick) as I didn't realise how much oil the car used. I subsequently measured the oil consumption at 1litre/1800km. I suspect the previous owner may have had a similar incident, but didn't tell me.
I didn't notice any damage, thought I was imagining a very slight drop in power, but not really noticeable.
I've added about 50k in 2 years with no real problems.

A few months ago I started hearing s light metalic grinding noise which I thought may be a pulley bearing that's busy wearing.
Then 2 days ago an engine noise started to become quite loud. Not sure if it's related to the first noise. It sounds as if its coming from the cambelt side of the engine and higher up.

Someone looked at it today but said it could be a number of things, but he suspects it's someting in the head. I agree, I don't know if its a valve or what...

I've uploaded a video clip here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqLwycZjxdc

Has anyone heard this noise? The real life noise is very loud compared to the normal engine noise, it also has another element than a pure knocking sound (grinding?)

Likely course of action? I can't pay someone thousands, I'll have to fix it myself.

Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Have you noticed a reduction in power?

It sounds to me like top end noise, maybe from a worn/damaged cam or similar.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 13-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Queensland
Hi Symon, a bit more background: The other issue with the car is that I have had an engine error code for a while. At a previous service they traced it to oxygen sensors or possibly the catalytic converter that's shot. They cleared the error code ("Engine management failure") but it pops up again after a short while. I read on the forums that this is a common problem and apart from changing all the parts, some people just drive it like that. I was planning to get oxygen sensors on ebay soon, and maybe getting rid of the cat by having someone cut it out and bypassing it. But I don't know if that will mess up the engine management system..

To answer your question, yes when I accelerate in a higher gear from low revs the engine stutters before picking up revs, and the engine management error sounds an alarm. I thought this was all related to the error mentioned above, but maybe its related to the noise mentioned in my 1st post.....
AO Member
County: Shropshire

Member car:

156 2.0 Lusso SW

Have you got to the bottom of your engine problem ? My 2.0 TS has developed the exact same noise today , also no fault codes show up on my code reader .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , bad , engine , jts , noise