body computer and corrosion :( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 12-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147

body computer and corrosion :(

Hi all, my alfa 147 has lost its back lights and had numerous random faults coming up so gathered that the body computer may be on its way out.

Whilst removing the computer I found that the top right connector was green all over and all over the plug.

What's worse is that the pins have corroded and have come off the computer and stuck in the plug.

Now before I order a replacement computer I got myself another from the scrappers just to see if it resolved my issue but the pin is stuck inthe plug!!!

Any ideas how I can get it out?

Last edited by Nojustice; 12-01-15 at 21:02.
Sponsored Links
AO Gold Member
County: Hampshire
Second hand ones won't work unless you have engine ecu and door looks etc from the same car. Give gus at alfa tune ( Google it) a call he can supply new or second hand ones that are virginalised so they are plug and play.
(Post Link) post #3 of 5 Old 12-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

Alfa 147

I am aware of that thanks, from my understanding with a second hand one you can see if lights are working, you just can't start the car

I need help with the connector
AO Member
County: Nottinghamshire

Member car:

156 JTD 2.4 20V

If its really bad you can cut off the connectors and solder the wires together directly. If just a couple of the connectors are bad then you can just cut those wires off and solder together ie bypass connector. You could probably find replacement connectors with some effort but given how infrequently these connectors need unplugging its probably not worth it.

Club Member
Membro Medio
Club Member Number: 2418
County: West Sussex
For the plug your best of cutting the corroded one off and grabbing the one from the scrap yard. And soldering the good plug in place of your corroded one with a bit of heat shrink insulation over the joins. If soldering is not your thing you could also do it with some crimp connectors.
Then give Gus at Alfatune a call as already mentioned for a new or secondhand body computer.
If your lucky and the corrosion is only in the plug socket and doesn't extend to circuit underneath. You could pinch the socket from the spare body computer you have and use it to replace the one on your original. If you have the soldering skills or know someone that does.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

body , computer , corrosion