Powersteering tricks - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 22-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member
Powersteering tricks

Hello you crazy boys!

Pls help. I damaged my powersteering pipe, had it made up and replaced this afternoon. I started the engine and while running put in new fluid at the reservoir.

Problem is, at idle or very low revs, the powersteering is almost not functioning. But as soon as you increase the revs, the power starts to come through and turning is easy.

If it is air, how would I bleed the system, or would the air work itself out in time?

Sponsored Links
Re: Powersteering tricks

It is best fill the system as much as possible before running the engine. You have probably aerated the fluid, just leave it for a while and the air will rise to the top of the reservoir and all should be well. Another possibility is a slight leak on the suction side of the pump which will constantly pull air in but barely show as a fluid leak. Hope this helps.
(Post Link) post #3 of 4 Old 22-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Thanks, will see tomorrow what happens. I have a 300km trip to undertake. If that does not eliminate the prob, any other ideas? I have not tampered with anything else except changing the 2 lower aluminium pipes with new steel pipes.

This is what happens if you don't see a speed hump at 25km/h with a sportpack car...
AO Member

Member car:

a bmw

the speedbumps round your way must be massive cos i ahve the same car as you and all i scrape is the undertray which has now been removed cos its cracked again and was hanging down,unless you aint got an undertray fitted

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

powersteering , tricks