Have I fried an ECU? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 11-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Devon

Member car:

156 sportwagon

Have I fried an ECU?

Posted a first draft of my problem on the ICE Blue&me forum last night but having done some more investigation this morning I now think its a problem in the control system. Forgive the long winded description but it is not a straightforward problem:
Fitted an aftermarket stereo after much research on the ICE forum and Youtube. my only problem is all the detail on the wiring of the car gives position of terminals on the ISO plugs NOT colour of wires so I got to work with my Multimeter.
Car is a 2002 156/1.6 Sportwagon which had a Blauplunkt Travelpilot fitted but the ISO pug had been *******ized so the wiring in the loom tested as follows: Black=Negative Grd, Yellow/Black seems to be Illumination trigger, Red Br was Antennae power, Orange 12v ignition on, then there are 2 red wires which seem constant but at only about 6V!!
One of these reds were capped off on the Blauplunkt - I connected head unit as per wiring recommended by manual but no result when turned on so I began experimenting. There was an splitter on the ignition connector for the radio and one leftover red on the car harness so I connected them - presto radio works BUT the remote button on my key no longer operates the central locking (central locking still working with the physical key), Interior lights no longer turn on with door switch or turning off ignition trigger.
I immediately disconnected the second red from the splitter on the ignition wire but the heater fan died and the interior lights dont work at all. Putting it back in the splitter restored heater fan and interior lights from the roof switch but they still dont operate normally. I suspect I may need professional help but I would dearly love to know what has gone wrong. Any suggestions most welcome.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Falkirk

Member car:

Sounds like you have blown a fuse - check your handbook for the services fuse first.
AO Silver Member
County: Northamptonshire

could well be a 15 amp fuse under the dash , one of the ones in the pastic cases above the fuse box . they are hard to get to , so best to flip on ya bac and look up with a torch

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

ecu , fried