Slight scuffing/grinding from brakes - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 09-01-15 Thread Starter
County: Nottinghamshire
Slight scuffing/grinding from brakes

Hi All,

Hoping someone may be able to offer some insight.

I have a relatively recently purchased second hand GT and I've recently noticed a slight scuffing/grinding noise when braking. It's difficult to tell exactly where it's coming from but sounds more like it's coming from the rear than the front. It's more pronounced when first setting off and seems to almost disappear after 10-15 mins of normal driving though there's still a noticeable light scuffing noise. The brakes also squeak most of the time.

I recently had the car in for a free brake check with Kwikfit to see if they could identify any issue but the didn't find anything suspect. They asked me how recently the discs & pads had been changed as they both appeared to be really new (so i'm assuming they were fitted new just prior to purchase), and they advised that new discs & pads can take a while to bed in, so that may be the issue.

I've done 3k+ miles since purchase, so how long should I assume the issue is just the brakes bedding in, and if it's not that, then any ideas what the issue may be?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: Derbyshire
Sounds suspiciously like a sticking caliper. New pads & discs will be bedded in after a few applications.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

brakes , scuffing or grinding , slight