Help please - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
Help please

HELLO evryone, I have posted this in the introduce section but I thought I would put it here as well Hope this is OK ?

2000 2.4 JTD

Low boost power ..well non existant when warmed up a bit better when cold , but no big push as it used to. If you accelerate hard it bogs down & will rev through to 4000 rpm cleanly but no boost at (minimal) but if you ease off & let it build from 2200rpm you make faster progress but still not as it should be ??

I have looked underneath at all the hoses & they are all intact with no splits or holes etc, they all still have the original hose clips as far as I can tell.

The hose that is coming from the Egr (I think) & then joins the air inlet pipe to the turbo has oil at that Joint ?

I have unplugged the maf when its warmed up & is worse when unplugged , it uses loads of fuel but there is no smoke at all, there never has been though .

I have been looking at the turbo side , I hope its not that

The engine sound a bit noisier to me , no real boost & uses loads of fuel.

Hope some bard can help I'm stumped & I dont want the local Alfa getting the Apprentice to learn on my car ,can't afford it !!

Last edited by bobster; 21-05-07 at 15:28.
Sponsored Links
Re: Help please

Had a root around today at lunchtime & I checked the vacum from the Electro valve ? on the bulkhead to the diaprhagm at the front of the engine & there is suction ther which increases when its reved up.

I put a dot of tippex on the turbos actuator rod & revved it to see if there was movement I know really the turbo has to be under load but it should still move slightly & it did but only at the very high end of the rev scale ?

I took the air mass off & cleaned the sensor as best I could with a anti staic CD cleaner, there was some dirt there & I wiped the inside of the actual body as well & this was also quite dirtier than I had expected.
I went for a drive & it was slightly better.

Now it seems the Turbo is boosting at about 20% of what its supposed to, the power band is slight (10%) Boost from 2300 rpm up to (25%)3000 rpm & then flat!

No warning lights at all & again no smoke ??

The fuel consumption is hard to tell as when I switched the ignition on it shwowed just under Half But then went down to 1/4 switch & on aagin after drive it showed about one tenth below 1/2 ? crap gauge then.

Any input would be appreciated lads thankyou.
Club Member
Membro Premio
Club Member Number: 71
County: Cumbria

Fuel gauge is notoriously unreliable, nowt you can do there.

Where are you based? Try seeing if a local member will swap MAF with you and see if that cures the problem.
AO Member

Member car:

Have you tested the actuators diaphragm to see if its split ?

I had it on a fiat diag machine & it said Maf, & egr , the guy said that he could not be 100% & that it was a guessing game as he could not open the fault where it said Maf.

Well I contacted Fiat & they want £216 + vat thats a dear guess if its wrong, I am a bit disapointed that the machine could not accurately pinpoint it as that was the whole point of the diagnostic but fair play to the gatage they did not charge me!! I'll definetely be using them as I like honest garages.

I have the Bosche Number but I have also been looking on E bay & they are half the price & they say they are new Bosch Units but there are a few Mafs for the 2.4 Jtd & they all have different Bosch numbers including different than mine ..what a mine field??

well I lashed out & bought a Maf unit, the car is definetely better now ,but I'm wondering should I try a reset?

The reason I ask is it acts rather like a twin choke petrol car? (as strange as this will sound I can only describe it this way) the car now accelerates quite well but after 3000 rpm it has a new lease of live & really wakes up up to just over 4000 rpm !! great fun but odd & 1st time it did catch me out .

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT