Puzzeler! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 06-01-15 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: West Yorkshire

Morning All

so, before I send the car off into the garage I'm wondering if someone could possibly advise what the problems is with my car so I may be able to fix it myself.

A few weeks ago my car lost nearly all power on the motorway. It gave a stutter then just struggled to move away. I pulled over and restarted the engine (which started fine) but the car had no power, it felt like it was being pushed then eventually gathered speed.

I gave the car a blast in second and third for a few miles and it now drives fine but the car struggles to start. some days it may be a few turns and it fires up others it takes a while.

At no point has any warning lights come on and there are no faults codes stored either.

When the car is struggling it doesn't sound like the battery, it does keep on turning then eventually after a few coughs sparks into life.

I can't see any unwanted soot in the engine or around the swirl flaps so my immediate thought is EGR ..

Any thoughts

Last edited by daryl; 06-01-15 at 08:13. Reason: missed points
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Essex
Do you have a sensor for water in the fuel, and is it working? (Had you just refuelled?) If some water got past the filter that day on the motorway it would kill the engine power but not the rail pressure, so no code. It may have damaged the injectors, leading to poor starting.

I'm not too sure about this because the ecu would see the power drop, but not know why. Would it give a warning??

Hopefully someone has a more benign possibility.
AO Silver Member
County: Kent

Member car:

147ts plus bits

My immediate thought too was EGR....pretty much what our jtdm did.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT