From a 3.2GT to a 2.0 JTS 156 Veloce - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 5 Old 16-05-07 Thread Starter
AO Platinum Member
County: Neath Port Talbot
Crazed From a 3.2GT to a 2.0 JTS 156 Veloce

Got back in my 156 for the first time in 6 days this morning after having the "priviledge" of using the wife's GT.

What struck me is just how good the 156 is

It's quick, agile, has a rifle bolt gearchange, rides well and is very quiet & refined. It may lack 75 or so BHP compared to the Gt but it's still a great drive. If only it had Brembo's though

The GT handles pretty much like our old SW

So, despite the fact we own one, the GT is still a Sportwagon in a party frock (love it loads though).

Daily Driver FIAT Panda Cross Twinair Stunning Giulia 115 Spider Series 4 fine weather toy

Wife's Daily Brilliant Toyota GT86

AROC South Wales Section Secretary
Sponsored Links
AO Member

Member car:

159ti 1.9JTD

Re: From a 3.2GT to a 2.0 JTS 156 Veloce

Have to agree, my old 156 was much more fun to drive than my GT, but I put it down to the GT having road holding limits that far exceed the 156, thus making the 156 feel 'on the limit' (and hence me a driving god!) more of the time.

Well, to be honest, the gearbox on a 2.0 JTS, be it 156 or GT, is not very good. The 3.2 V6 gearbox on the other hand is great.
As for the car itself, hmm, my old 156 2.0 JTS was indeed light and agile(had a sportpack including the TI seats and lower and harder suspension), but the 156 GTA is better, even though it's heavier, it's more precise, has a lot of low down torque. If only the GTA was as light as the JTS
AO Silver Member

Member car:

147 GTA Q2

Slightly different scinario I know but i went from a 156 2.5 veloce to the 147GTA and what a difference!
The turn in, agility and power on the 147 is on a different scale, where the 156 would understeer really bad, although it was quieter and more refined.
But from reading road tests i understand there is a better balance on the 4 cylinder models.

Obviously there is a better balance since the engine is lighter, so the front part is lighter as well.
But then again, the GTAs are made with a lot of improvements to compensate for being heavier in the front.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

156 , 32gt , jts , veloce