Flaps? What flaps?
AO Silver Member
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: United Kingdom
GT JTDm - Oil..Oil?!? OIL!!!!
So here I am, about to take advantage of the Opie Oils 15% off deal (until midnight tonight!!) and order myself 5 Litres of oil and a new filter.. and have been presented with a plethora of options...
The manual asks for 5W40 Selenia oil, but Opie is recommending 5W30.. As I understand it, the Opie recommendation is going to be less viscous at operating temperature than the Alfa spec.. Firstly, why do Opie recommend a thinner oil?
Secondly, of the 7 5W30 oils they recommend - where's it worth spending the money? For the sake of £20 difference (between cheapest and dearest), where's the peak of performance/cost?
1. Gulf Formula LEF 5w30 fully syn. + filter - £29.72
2. Millers Oils XF Longlife C2 5w30 fully syn. + filter - £38.46
3. Castrol Magnatec 5w30 C2 fully syn. + filter - £42.65
4. Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w30 fully syn. + filter - £49.07
5. Motul 8100 eco-clean 5w30 C2 - £50.02
6. Mobil 1 ESP 5w30 fully syn + filter - £50.64
7. Fuchs Titan GT1 Pro C2 5w30 synthetic + filter - £52.86
Finally, the driving I do is almost entirely motorway miles.. Currently totting up 800 miles per week, 700 of which are on the motorway... As I understand it longer runs at high temp are generally better for the engine/oil, while many starts/stops at low temp lead to an unhappy engine.. With that in mind, is there a custom oil recommendation anyone would make to suit my driving style for optimal engine life and fuel efficiency? Worth picking up an oil test kit from Opie too so I can see whether it's worth extending the oil change interval? Currently planning on doing it every 6-8k, but that's gonna get expensive preeeettty quickly (every 2 months or so)!!
So yea.. Talk to me about Oil guys!