my 2001 156 2.0 ts was giving me a nightmare in the last few weeks >
with intermittent problems.
(selespeed lights on \not going into 1st. pump not priming ,not starting when opening driver`s door.skipping gears ...)
all sorts of shenanigans ...
i finally find the cure for mine- and want to share it with you all >>>(skip the the end if interested only in the solution )
did the MAR reset. - didnt work .
topped up selespeed oil - didnt work.
tried all sorts of stuff . didnt work.
than when you just gave up - you would hope in the car - and it worked like nothing is wrong at all.
it got worse to the point i couldnt use the car at all.
i barely made it to the garage when i finally decided to go . . . to the dreaded garage.
one garage looked at the car and said - "selespeed pump is gone - gotta put a new one on".
i didnt like this diagnose cause pump was working good when it did.
took it for a second opinion > garage guy plugged in to see the faults codes and than said "your selepeed ECU is totally crazy and buggy - get a new one or i wont be able to help you" .
it showed at list 5 codes related to selespeed all were 17XX..
since i didnt like the sound of it -and couldnt get a new ECU - i ventured to go after another lead.
i decided to check the selespeed relays .
i noticed that the ticking sound of one of them is a bit "weird".
so - i tried to get the pump to work by knocking gently with a screwdriver on top of one of the relays - after some more knocking pump would immediately go into action.
this gave me some hope - LONG STORY SHORT
i changed the small red 30A relay into a new one.
connected Multiscan > Did selespeed calibration+
reset to the fault codes>
and Viola ! car has been working better than before .
(see pic for the right one)
if i had listened to the garage guys - i would have spent big $$$ for nothing.
no one thought to check the relays .
i know some selepeeds have REAL problems - but before you panic try those relays you might get lucky.