Alfa GT Aircon / Climate control fan removal - How too. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 1 Old 10-12-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Greater London
Alfa GT Aircon / Climate control fan removal - How too.

As I'm having ongoing problems with my fan, I asked several times how to access the fan and fans resistor, so I could check or renew them.

Nobody posted an answer, so I was in the dark on how to find the unit - whether you accessed from in the cabin or from outside.

Now I've done this I thought I'd do a short how-too to help others out trying to do this.

Firstly the good news is it's very simple process - the bad news it's very cramped!.

You'll need:

10mm socket
5.5mm socket ( unusual size )
Small torch as it's very dark in there.
Small screwdriver ( to help remove electrical connectors )

- Move the passenger seat right back
- The fan is inside the cabin directly below and behind the glove box.
- Under the glove box there is a stiff fabric cover - held on by 4 10mm bolts. Undo these and
remove the cover.
- Crawl under on your back - use the torch to look up.
- You'll see a round plastic body just above your nose - this is the fan unit. Directly behind this ( toward the engine ) is a 3"
black plastic oval ( with a couple of connectors ).It has x2 5.5mm bolts. This is the resistor, and it can be removed
- The fan has x1 power connector - undo this.
- You'll then see that there is x1 5.5mm bolt ( it is the only one ). Undo this bolt.
- You can then twist the whole fan unit about 15 degrees clockwise - and it will then drop out.
- That's it.

Top Tip! Take the opportunity while down there to change the pollen filters. To the left and a bit further towards the engine you'll see a black plastic strap that has x 2 or 3 of those bolts. You can see x2, the third is hidden but you'll feel it. Undo them, drop the strap and you'll see the filters. There are two of them. Pull them out ( watch out for falling dust! Also note which way around they go ) and replace with new ones.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Daytona; 10-12-14 at 09:03.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

aircon , alfa , climate , control , fan , removal