quick question for those in the know.. - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 3 Old 01-12-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
quick question for those in the know..

Morning All,

I'm about to enter a discussion with a garage that have undertaken some work lately on my GT Jtd....

Work has proved to be faulty and costly to boot

Please note that although I am in Oxfordshire, the garage in question is not.

My question relates to the tip of the iceberg with what has been done (wrong)

When changing a clutch and flywheel on a 1.9Jtd GT, am I right in thinking it is normal procedure to replace the top bush (beige plastic) on the actuator arm? This is the bush that is a known culprit for causing notchy clutch feeling.

I asked the garage to investigate this bush as I had cracked it when trying to remove it myself (following forum member Blacksheep's thread on the matter).

Leaving the car in the garage's hands I received three phone calls during the day to authorise work
1. New Clutch Required
2. New Dual Mass Flywheel
3. New main rear oil seal

This wasnt cheap.

Symptoms since - loosing 1l engine oil every 500 miles, gear oil dripping from underside, clutch that was feeling great straight after, now no longer feeling so special.

I've had a different garage diagnose
Driveshaft seal leaking
Main rear oil seal leaking

I have just now myself removed the battery and battery tray to find that the top bush on the clutch actuator arm as mentioned at the top of this post is the original broken one I spoke to the garage about when I dropped the car off.

Is this indicative of anything? Should it be changed as a matter of course in a clutch change? Does it have to come out anyway if a clutch is being changed?

Just thought I would garner your thoughts before I speak to the garage this morning....

Last edited by swallow; 01-12-14 at 18:28.
Sponsored Links
AO Member
County: Derbyshire
I would personally say no to be honest. To a garage, a clutch change involves flywheel (depending on required) clutch plate/pressure cover and release bearing. If they are not familiar with the model they won't go out of there way to change extra bushes etc. The fact that you asked them specifically to change I would say makes it questionable... Also the fact that it is now leaking from the rear seal which has been quoted as replaced? I'd be getting someone else to do it and charging the original garage
(Post Link) post #3 of 3 Old 01-12-14 Thread Starter
Club Member
Membro Medio
County: Oxfordshire
Turns out it was not rear main seal to blame after all - now that gearbox is off, the seal was evidently changed for a new one when the clutch & flywheel were done.

Garage couldn't remember if they had actually changed the rear main seal, as not on invoice, although I do remember being phoned to be told it needed one, it didn't appear on the invoice. This has unfortunately meant that the gearbox, clutch and dmf have had to come out again...just to see that it had been done and was looking nice and dry.

Likely culprit is the sump gasket (liquid gasket) which was probably as old as the car ie sump never been off. Possibly gave up the ghost due to being old and the engine being supported via the sump on a transmission jack during the clutch and flywheel change? Hard to say really but was upsetting shelling out for clutch & flywheel for the car to then be immediately shedding oil at a rate. The proximity in location to the work done and the immediacy of the oil disappearing after the work both pointed to the rear main though.

Sump coming off tomorrow and being re-sealed, hopefully be the end of it. There was a little oil in a lot of places such as vacuum pipes, turbo hose etc but not enough coming from anywhere north of the sump to equate to such rapid oil loss. On a positive note, some of the underside of the car now has a little extra rust proofing...

Actuator arm bushings are apparently not changed as routine during a clutch change on these, lubricated possibly but not changed.

Suspected gear oil loss (clear oil dripping off lower turbo hose) is apparently not gear oil but something else.

Garage have been accommodating, and I hope to be back on the road shortly.

Last edited by swallow; 01-12-14 at 18:32.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

question , quick