Crankshaft Seal Issues : ( - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 30-04-07 Thread Starter
Crankshaft Seal Issues : (

Hey, good afternoon one and all. I'm a little new to this site so any help is welcome. Anyway I just wanted to ask some advice of whats seeminly is a more experienced load of people than my local dealer. Have 156 ***** got a history with issues on the crank shaft seal, and could hitting a large sleeper brick cause this problem or indeed accelerate it at all. I recently hit a large brick thanks to some idiots throwing it off a railway bridge, i couldn't avoid it a it was just below the tunnel and i had no room to move over due to other traffic. Immediately my STOP light comes on so I pull over and my engine bay if full of Oil. I fear the worst considering the noise it made when i went over this large brick (About 20mpg) Anyway to cut a long story short, I put it through on my insurance and it gets put on hold by their approved repairer saying that they can see the damage to the cowling underneath the car but the leak is all to do with a crankshaft seal leaking. I explained that it was done at the same time and was certainly not a coincidence. He said my cylinder head was completely empty and i explained that it would have been impossible for this problem to have been present before considering the fact i drive 70 miles a day. They still don't believe it was part of the accident and are threatening to throw it out as a claim. Surely this is not a coincidence and that although not close together any pressure put on the underside of the engine mounting and exhaust could surely create a leak in the crankshaft...Or is this bizarre coincidence...Any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
AO Platinum Member
County: Oxfordshire
Re: Crankshaft Seal Issues : (

Are you 100% sure it not the sump leaking?
I suppose a hefty shock to the gearbox could move the crank enough to damage the seal though in theroy, although I haven't seen it happen.

Hope you get it fixed dude.
AO Platinum Member
County: herts

I sent a reply, 5 posts down as well:
(Post Link) post #4 of 4 Old 30-04-07 Thread Starter

Yep. Sump is fine. I have looked at it under a ramp. Its defo coming from the crankshaft, not the gearbox side though. I guess I'm gonna have to take it To ***** as their damn sure to throw the claim out. Pricey no doubt.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

crankshaft , issues , seal