Mot tomorrow - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 2 Old 23-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member
County: Angus

Member car:

Alfa 147 JTD

Mot tomorrow

THe wife's 147 is booked in for its test tomorrow so I gave it the once over yesterday morning. I've recently replaced part of the exhaust and both front wishbones as well as putting new tyres on the front.

The missus had mentioned the handbrake was poor and the windscreen washers weren't working. I knew a brake light was out too.

Turned out the handbrake was only working on the near side. This wasn't unexpected as it has happened before. The lever on the brake caliper gets sticky and doesn't spring back. Some plus gas and working it back and forward soon had it freed up and operating properly. I think I need to strip and clean the caliper as I'm not sure if it's the lever or the mechanism in the caliper that's causing the stickiness.

The brake light is temperamental. Comes on with a thump of the lens. This has happened before too, so I took it all apart, cleaned the connectors and put it back together. It's working for the time being. It I think I need a new bulb holder.

Windscreen washer pump was working and water in the reservoir so I suspected blocked jets. Turns out though that water was pouring out the bottom of the engine bay when the screen was is operated. Traced the leak to the hose on the bulkhead scuttle area. Cut a couple of inches off and rejoined for a temporary repair.

Fingers crossed for tomorrow although I'm a bit worried about the front brake discs.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member

Member car:

Silver GT 3.2 V6

Good luck!

My GT V6 passed without any advisories last Wednesday. New upper wishbones and drop links fitted beforehand. I though my handbrake may be an issue as it was not great on some of the steep hills in North Devon in the summer, but it was not mentioned.

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

mot , tomorrow