Went to see a low mileage GT JTS Selespeed - engine failure?! - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 8 Old 18-11-14 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

156 GTA 3.2 V6

Went to see a low mileage GT JTS Selespeed - engine failure?!

Hi all

So I went to see this today. All the credentials were there; 1 lady owner, 33K from new, full Alfa history (not sure if that is a good thing), 9 Alfa services all invoiced for so multiple oil changes.

It had the ghastly Selespeed box but I thought I would overlook this due to the low mileage.

Car was red and had various areas of fade, plus around 12 car park dents! Needed rear bumper painted and undertray was coming off.

Started from stone cold, low battery crank but went OK.

Went for a drive, NO brakes (lip on discs, corrosion where sat for 3 months and very spongy pedal). Drove OK, gearshift was reasonably fine for a daily.

Came back, thought I heard a tapping sound from the engine. Didn't think more but mentioned it to the owners husband.

Went inside and thumbed through the paperwork; it was incredible, all MOT's and servicing completed by Desira Alfa. Useless monkeys.

Last service Feb 2014 stated 'engine knocking'. Previous receipt for the year before talked of gearbox issues, investigating issues on cylinder 1 and reported misfire (cured by changing all four plugs).

Went back to listen to this knocking. Fine at idle, no noise whatsover, but when free revving the engine above 2500rpm the knocking comes back. At first I thought it was variator or something, but now I'm not so sure.

What do you guys think? I would be amazed to see a car on that mileage needing a rebuild! She has over serviced it (sometimes only 2K between servicing) so cannot think the engine oil would have dropped? Its only been used for low speed runs around London aswell.

How else can she have knocked out the big ends, assuming its those? I noticed the useless dealers had not been using 10W60 but 'Selenia 5W'; I think I saw 10W60 on only 1 invoice.

These dealers have somehow scrapped this car! Such a low mileage vehicle aswell, I genuinely thought I'd take it at the right price. OK the body needs some work, the brakes need doing as does the third cambelt change but I was sold on the documentation.

Any ideas? Big end failure due to incorrect dealer oil at 33K?

Whats it worth? Noticed both front sills crushed aswell due to useless tyre fitters not opening their eyes (I was hoping this car wouldn't suffer from this due to dealer maintenance).

Is it even worth buying?

I cannot see what its worth. I've asked the husband to take it back to the ever useless Desira North London to cast their ear over whats happened.

Such a shame....

Advice appreciated. At the moment I do not think it's worth 500.
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
County: West Midlands

Member car:

Alfa 166

Doesn't sound worth scrap. The fact the engine is knocking should put you off. Unless you fancy giving the shells a change.

Some times higher mileage cars are better buys.

I go off how the car looks / Feels / Drives and sounds rather than too much paperwork.
Its always a bonus having history but as you've just stated isn't the be all and end all of a cars condition.
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
My personal way to decide is if I have to think about it, it's not for me, got me in trouble a few times with the misses but always redeemed myself when something better comes up.
AO Silver Member
County: Staffordshire
Knocking on a Jts normally means shells poss warn crank too. I'd assume it's been ran low on oil most of its life. Unless it's being sold super cheap stay away.
AO Gold Member
Sounds a headache to me....stay clear !
AO Silver Member
County: West Yorkshire
Run away
AO Silver Member
County: Surrey
AO Member
County: -

Member car:

There are better cars out there!

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT

engine , failure , jts , low , mileage , selespeed