Springs for GT? - Alfa Romeo Forum
You are currently unregistered, register for more features.    
(Post Link) post #1 of 4 Old 24-04-07 Thread Starter
AO Member

Member car:

GT 3.2 Coupe

Springs for GT?

I have decided to get Koni FSD dampers for my GT, I figure that there must be some sort of improvement - I have 18" wheels. The dampers have been ordered but now my dilemma is whether or not I use the existing springs or change them for something else? Given my priority is a softer ride at lower speeds, does anyone have any experience or opinion on this?
Sponsored Links
AO Silver Member
155 Lounge Winner 09
County: Victoria

Member car:

GT . 155 . 75

Re: Springs for GT?

on my V6, the combo of KONI Sport (not FSD) and Eibach Pro Kit springs improved ride comfort considerably over the factory setup. FSD should - in theory anyway! - improve ride comfort even more. i think the dampers make more of a difference than the springs.

note, with the Eibach springs on the V6, they do not lower the front significantly (i had 1~2mm), and only the back, by around 30mm. if you want 'lowered' front and rear, look elsewhere, say with Novitec springs.

AO Member

Member car:

Golf GTi ED30

The reasons I didn't go for uprated (probably Eibach) springs when having the FSDs fitted were a) to save money, b) I wasn’t sure how this would effect the ride quality, and c) I didn't want to lower the car as it wasn't great over speed bumps.

Having had the FSDs fitted, the GT copes with speed bumps a lot better than before as the suspension doesn't compress as much, so in hindsight, I could have lowered it and got away with it.

If I had a second stab at the suspension, I think I would go for lowering springs, but only if they did actually lower the front rather than making it look like there were gold bars in the boot. Having said that, I’m not sure how harsh this would make the suspension. The ride quality is firm but not harsh on standard springs.

PS several weeks after having the FSDs fitted I am still very happy with them, but now the suspension seems to be squeaking/creaking from the rear, maybe it’s the bushes, I’m not sure, but I’m waiting for Western Alfa Romeo to open in Edinburgh before I get this checked as Arnold Clarke have lost the plot. So if I were you I would get the bushes checked at the same time and maybe go for aftermarket ones.

Hope this helps
AO Member

Member car:

Alfa GT 2.0JTS

Correct me if I am wrong, but I am/was under the impression that the "Eibachs" except of perhaps lowering the car (which given the Greek roads is not a good idea) would also give you a firmer suspension. Right or wrong ?

Go Back   Alfa Romeo Forum > Supported Alfa Romeo Models > Technical & Vehicle Assistance > Alfa 147, 156 & GT